Acer xb271hu - Text doubling, Horizontal lines issue

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
fluidz

Acer xb271hu - Text doubling, Horizontal lines issue

Post by fluidz » 13 Nov 2020, 09:59

I have edited and added horizontal lines to this image to make it appear how I see it.

What you see above isn't screen tearing, Vsync is forced on globally in the Nvidia Control Panel, and I don't see this issue appear when gaming with gsync, edit - but it does seem to appear when gsync is disabled.

When I scroll up and down light/dark content on a high refresh rate screen, using the scroll wheel on my mouse, if scrolling skips multiple lines at a time, I see horizontal lines appear on screen. It mostly affects text. Text looks like is has a strikethrough. I have seen this on 2 different monitors, Acer x34a, acer xb271hu and I even saw them when I visited the pc store on a 144hz monitor there. The guy in the store claimed he couldn't see them. Switching overdrive doesn't make them go away. At 60hz I can't see them, but once I set the refresh rate higher they become visible.

On my Xb271hu monitor, when scrolling the Microsoft Xbox app, which uses dark theme by default, I see these exact same lines, but they are much worst than the lines i see in the start menu. If I use the scroll bar on the side, hold left mouse button and drag it up and down, which uses smooth scrolling, the lines aren't visible. It seems that when scrolling and skipping many lines at a time, on dark/light colour content, triggers it.

It looks like this - I edited the image and added horizontal lines to reflect how I see it

I held my iphone in front of my xb271hu screen and started scrolling the Xbox app, I could actually see these lines on the iphone screen in realtime, so I recorded a video, and yes I can still see them in the video when played back on my iphone, although they do not appear if i pause the video. I shared the video in two popular monitor subreddits and asked if anyone could see them in the video on on their high refresh monitor and nobody has replied.

Am I seeing things? Or am I just way too sensitive to this sort of thing? :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWiQ8zMpI08
Last edited by fluidz on 10 Jan 2021, 04:30, edited 4 times in total.

TTT

Re: Is it normal to see these horizontal lines?

Post by TTT » 15 Nov 2020, 10:11

It will just be the pixel reponse on the monitor catching up.

Slow that video to min speed and you can't see any lines, I think you are seeing lines moving it fast because the line of text or edge of a picture in the app/xbox store are horizontal so its just looks like a line cutting across further up/down the screen as you're moving it.

Also the monitors you mention are IPS and they have a slower response time than TN so it will probably be more prevalent.

The newer IPS monitors are supposed to have faster response times now but TN is probably still the fastest.

TTT

Post by TTT » 18 Nov 2020, 08:37

I just got an IPS 240hz monitor and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing what you are describing.

It is ghosting the image on the screen, like I said above its not actually a line you are seeing its ghosting the text but moving quickly its cutting through the next line of text so it looks like a line cutting through it.

Now I've seen it, it is really annoying! Pretty sure my TN 240hz panel doesn't do it so I guess its an IPS response thing.

fluidz

Post by fluidz » 18 Nov 2020, 23:24

TTT wrote:
18 Nov 2020, 08:37
I just got an IPS 240hz monitor and I'm pretty sure I'm seeing what you are describing.

It is ghosting the image on the screen, like I said above its not actually a line you are seeing its ghosting the text but moving quickly its cutting through the next line of text so it looks like a line cutting through it.

Now I've seen it, it is really annoying! Pretty sure my TN 240hz panel doesn't do it so I guess its an IPS response thing.
Thanks for putting my mind at ease, I really thought I was seeing things!

fluidz

Post by fluidz » 08 Jan 2021, 16:56

I've asked around some more, showed many others this issue but nobody else seems to see it on their monitor (according to what they say over the internet) :roll:

I managed to capture this happening in windows settings when dark mode is enabled. I used slo mo 120fps on my iphone to capture. Refresh rate is 144hz.

After recording the screen at 120fps and slowing the recording down, I noticed the text is sometimes doubling, the ghost text is almost an equal brightness of the original. To the eye they merge as one text. When I'm scrolling quickly, a gap will appear between the original text and the ghost text, giving the impression of a strikethrough line.

Video - https://streamable.com/lkuja3
Last edited by fluidz on 10 Jan 2021, 04:36, edited 10 times in total.

fluidz

Post by fluidz » 08 Jan 2021, 17:29

fluidz

Post by fluidz » 10 Jan 2021, 04:22

I ran this test - https://www.testufo.com/gtg-vs-mprt#bac ... sation=2.2

At all refresh rates, the bottom half is almost identical to the top half, I can barely make out the white/black vertical lines, yet they appear when I blink (blinking is pausing the motion).

Comparing this result to my 60hz Asus pb278q monitor, I can actually see the white/black lines in the bottom half clearly on the Asus monitor, which I thought was a much slower panel. I did compare both monitors at 60hz and the Asus is much much clearer.

I was wondering if other Xb271hu owners see the same thing?