360hz users: 400 fps uncapped or 350 fps g sync?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
ms.potatoe

Re: 360hz users: 400 fps uncapped or 350 fps g sync?

Post by ms.potatoe » 02 Dec 2020, 14:33

It isnt Gsync but my feeling with the synchronization methods; Vsync, freesync, enhanced sync give me the feeling of slow mouse response (I don't know how to explain it).

Activating Radeon antilag returns to normal. With synchronization it is as if the mouse waits for something to respond. It's like Radeon Antilag removes that restriction.

Excuse me for all the technicality xd.

alguuu

Post by alguuu » 07 Dec 2020, 18:52

This is my experience with the PG259QN playing Valorant thus far... take this with a grain of salt as my eyes aren't trained at all to detect motion clarity.

Setting 1: G-SYNC ON + NVCP V-SYNC ON + Nvidia Reflex ON (boost)
This automatically caps my FPS at around 330 without any in-game frame limiter (the only way for me to use the in game limiter for a higher cap was to turn V-SYNC OFF, or to turn off Nvidia Reflex off - doing either of those increased my game to render latency)
My game to render latency is around 3-4ms on average

Setting 2: G-SYNC OFF + NVCP V-SYNC OFF + Nvidia Reflex ON (boost)
FPS uncapped at 600 to over 1000 in Valorant
My game to render latency is actually on average around 1ms higher than the above settings with G-SYNC and V-SYNC ON

For now I've stuck with Setting 1 for the lowest game to render latency. Again I'm pretty new to this stuff so I'm not able to come up with any discernable difference in terms of motion clarity between the two. However to note, without G-SYNC, I can hardly see any tearing if at all.

For reference I running a Ryzen 5900X and RTX 3080.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Dec 2020, 19:11

alguuu wrote:
07 Dec 2020, 18:52
For now I've stuck with Setting 1 for the lowest game to render latency. Again I'm pretty new to this stuff so I'm not able to come up with any discernable difference in terms of motion clarity between the two. However to note, without G-SYNC, I can hardly see any tearing if at all.
This is not surprising -- as frame rates and refresh rates gets higher.

Ultrahigh framerates at ultrahigh refreshrates starts to converge to indentical (VSYNC ON = VSYNC OFF = G-SYNC), as tearing / stutter / lag / motionblur approaches zero/invisibility for all sync technologies.

Having so many sync technologies become more obsolete the closer we reach to 1000fps+ at 1000Hz+.

There is visible VSYNC OFF microstuttering at 350fps at 360Hz (10 tiny stutters per second), but once you're doing 1000fps at 360Hz, the stutters are essentially bruteforce'd out.

It's another example of why I am a big fan of future 1000fps 1000Hz displays (preferably with also GtG100% well under 1ms) -- full brightness, zero blur, lagless, stutterless, strobeless, tearingless. You have none of the disadvantages of having to cherrypick strobe technology or VRR technology or other sync technology.

The fact you can't tell a difference between #1 and #2 is not surprising. As framerates fall, #1 and #2 will diverge (e.g. 100fps).

However, as long as you're running far in excess of 300fps, I am not surprised you can't tell apart G-SYNC / VSYNC ON / VSYNC OFF since they start to finally converge to (lag/appearance) indenticalness at ultrahigh frame rates at ultrahigh refresh rates.

Mind you, it becomes increasingly difficult to see incremental refresh rate upgrades, which means the Blur Busters "I can see the difference" recommendation is often roughly a 2.0x refresh rate upgrade. So that means 144Hz->280Hz upgrade, or a 240Hz->480Hz upgrades, or 360Hz->720Hz upgrades. Jumping geometrically up the diminishing curve of returns is necessary for visible humankind benefit of these stratospheric refresh rates. Also, the 360 Hz monitor is still somewhat GtG-bottlenecked.

With the 360Hz panel, we're seeing the very early benefits of strobeless low-persistence sample-and-hold behavior (<3ms MPRT without needing a strobe backlight)
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

alguuu

Post by alguuu » 07 Dec 2020, 19:34

^ Thanks for the write up and assurance that I don't have some sort of vision problem lol! With new tech it's hard to find data points to compare with your own experience. I'm interested to see what works for other people and their settings.