G-sync and clockplatform

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
actualthroway

G-sync and clockplatform

Post by actualthroway » 29 Dec 2020, 14:58

Yesterday I was fiddling around with the following CMD commands:

bcdedit /set useplatformclock No (or false)
bcdedit /set useplatformclock Yes (or true)
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick Yes
bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Enhanced
bcdedit /deletevalue useplatformclock

After using bcdedit /set useplatformclock No, my G-sync became much smoother than before, it was almost unreal. No more micro-micro-stutters. I used WinTimeTester to check for any timing differences. My previous frequency was 3.22265 MHz and after the command it was something like 3.22270 or something close but still different. Furthermore I used TimerResolution tool to set my timer to 0.5 seconds

Previously it would be set to 0.5004, but after the command it became 5.007 so there was a difference.

My current settings before tweaking everything were:

bcdedit /set tscsyncpolicy Enhanced
bcdedit /set useplatformclock No
bcdedit /set disabledynamictick Yes
3.22265 MHz timing
HPET disabled in device manager

I'm not sure what happened but then I rebooted my PC after enjoying the new smoothness for awhile, it reverted back to the old 0.5004 timing and nothing was smooth anymore. micro stutters were back.

Now no matter how many different combinations of these commands I use, I can't get the old timing back and I'm not sure what's going on but now everything feels horrible. No more smoothness.

I'm not sure what I did and I want to find out so I can get G-sync working again. I've had micro stuttering issues with G-sync for 4 years now and I'm tired of it.

MT_

Re: G-sync and clockplatform

Post by MT_ » 03 Jan 2021, 17:34

Windows doesn't add useplatformclock/tick and dynamictick entries to the BCD by itself afaik, so some third party program that you've used/installed must have done that.

If HPET is enabled (As in: accessible/available, not as in 'primary' or in 'use') in the BIOS (And this is usually the default), useplatformclock yes will force HPET as the default system timer which is (at least on Intel platforms) WAY slower than the processor TSC timer, but this should also be the case for Ryzen.

So maybe by setting useplatformclock to 'no' counteracted this whole situation. The same results would be to simply delete the whole bcd entry with '/deletevalue'. (Basically windows default).

So maybe keep tabs on what your programs are doing to your system ^-^

Also disabling HPET in the device manager really doesn't do anything. All those devices usually run under the 'msisadrv' from Microsoft, but individually they have no 'drivers' hooked on to them.

I would suggest to delete all these bcd entries and stop fiddling around with it. If you still have issues after this, the problem lies elsewhere.

Microstutters don't occur due to G-sync but to something happening on your system, bad performant system/unoptimized configuration, or the game engine.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

Slender

Post by Slender » 04 Jun 2022, 09:09

same with z690, what platform you use?

Raphaeangelo

Post by Raphaeangelo » 17 Feb 2024, 11:27

So I’ve also been messing around with all the bcdedit settings and I’ve come across something interesting. When I set “useplatformclock” to “no” my system runs slightly better than if I deletevalue “useplatformclock”. I know the first thing that comes to mind is placebo but I honestly can feel the difference in games like Apex Legends.

All the other bcdedit commands either added lag or effected hit detection in a negative way. I play with HPET disabled in device manager and only this bcdedit command below.

Code: Select all

bcdedit /set useplatformclock no