G-Sync Stops Working After Gaming For 3 Hours - Requires Computer Restart

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Asael

G-Sync Stops Working After Gaming For 3 Hours - Requires Computer Restart

Post by Asael » 30 Dec 2020, 06:14

Hello are you aware of GSYNC stops working after 1-3h just after PC turns on?
I did test on few W10 builds and drivers.
Test on 5900x + 3080 and 6800xt with LG 38GL950G-B (gsync module v2)
Same issue GSYNC stops working after a while (gsync indicator + nvidia pendulum demo confirms it)
The only think that fix it is PC restart but its only temporary for 1-3h

For everyone else try using GSYNC indicator in NVIDIA control panel if its active you will see it when its not it will not show up.

You can turn on PC clean OS installation and leave it with nvidia drivers on desktop and i can guarantee that gsync will stop working after 2-3h mark

Now is it Windows issues or GSYNC module in LCDs?? (same on amd cards)

this is a post on NVIDIA forum someone and few other also noticed that there is more details.
www nvidia com/en-us/geforce/forums/geforce-graphics-cards/5/388728/g-sync-stops-working-after-gaming-for-3-hours-re/

we really should do something about it as everyone is staying quiet (nvidia, MS) and im more than sure this is a global problem

MT_

Re: G-Sync Stops Working After Gaming For 3 Hours - Requires Computer Restart

Post by MT_ » 03 Jan 2021, 17:42

No clue.

However, my G-sync stops working (Windowed anyway, for a few of my games) after an RDP session and only a reboot fixes it.

Suppose I can fiddle around with what graphics method is used and change to something more compatible.
LTSC 21H2 Post-install Script
https://github.com/Marctraider/LiveScript-LTSC-21H2

System: MSI Z390 MEG Ace - 2080 Super (300W mod) - 9900K 5GHz Fixed Core (De-lid) - 32GB DDR3-3733-CL18 - Xonar Essence STX II

diakou

Post by diakou » 03 Jan 2021, 17:56

Asael wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 06:14
The only think that fix it is PC restart but its only temporary for 1-3h
You can download CRU (Custom Resolution Utility 1.5 or 1.4.2) and use restart64/restart.

It will be the same as if you did a PC restart, but a quick 5-10 seconds monitor going black. I assume there's another way of doing this, but I doubt it's faster than the CRU method, probably just equal.

Keep in mind that this basically "restarts" your graphic driver. If you have a manual fan setting on a program such as afterburner, you will have to re-open it for the fans to be at that setting.

WildWarturtle

Post by WildWarturtle » 30 Jan 2021, 01:49

I had the same problem for over a year and i found a solution at least for my case. Gsync indicator was on for a couple of hours then it disappears in some games like Apex Legends and Cyberpunk 2077. My problem was that my windows isn't authenticated so after a few hours popped up the "Activate windows" overlay on the bottom right corner and that was making the gsync indicator overlay disappear! So in order to fix it, authenticate your windows or find a way to hide the watermark.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2021, 02:08

WildWarturtle wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 01:49
I had the same problem for over a year and i found a solution at least for my case. Gsync indicator was on for a couple of hours then it disappears in some games like Apex Legends and Cyberpunk 2077. My problem was that my windows isn't authenticated so after a few hours popped up the "Activate windows" overlay on the bottom right corner and that was making the gsync indicator overlay disappear! So in order to fix it, authenticate your windows or find a way to hide the watermark.
Enabling G-SYNC for both windowed AND fullscreen, also fixes this behavior.

But, yes, it's best to activate windows. If you've got an RTX card for Cyberpunk, what are you waiting for? Pony up and pay the Win10 license. Saves a lot of grief.

Some cash-strapped people buy a greymarket activation code off ebay (usually a unit of a large corporate site license, spun off as a single code against Microsoft TOS), but even Microsoft grudgingly tolerates that more than a completely pirated Windows 10.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2021, 02:09

For G-SYNC bugs that aren't fixed with enabling G-SYNC for both windowed and fullscreen:

Another technique is ToastyX restart64.exe included with ToastyX CRU .... That sometimes gets G-SYNC reenabled without needing a reboot.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

yep

Post by yep » 30 Jan 2021, 03:46

windows shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B restarts the driver, might save you a restart.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Jan 2021, 04:02

yep wrote:
30 Jan 2021, 03:46
windows shortcut CTRL+SHIFT+WIN+B restarts the driver, might save you a restart.
That is another technique too!

Exception: This can be tricky on multimonitor systems where you've intentionally disabled some. Such as a closed laptop connected to a projector or an external monitor. (Like my Razer gaming laptop connected to a 240Hz or 360Hz monitor). The "Show Only On Monitor 2" becomes "Show Only On Monitor 1" when doing Ctrl+Shift+Win+B. This may be intended behaviour, but is undesirable to me. For me, restart64.exe works better for me in this situation.