G-sync and variable frame times causing undetectable stutter?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
silikone

G-sync and variable frame times causing undetectable stutter?

Post by silikone » 07 Jan 2021, 19:16

As I was recently tuning a game to run as consistently as possible on a G-sync display, I noticed that things weren't exactly as smooth as I had expected, even though no frame time indicators would suggest that the game had any trouble keeping up.
Then I thought to myself how the nature of G-sync may be the culprit of this visual inconsistency. By keeping an eye on the GPU usage, I could infer that sudden shifts in frame rendering times would defer or hasten any subsequent display refresh, creating what unmistakably looks like a microstutter. As long as the rendering load is consistently low or high, everything looks normal.
How does one minimize this effect when using framerate caps?

Rufussle

Re: G-sync and variable frame times causing undetectable stutter?

Post by Rufussle » 08 Jan 2021, 02:32

In "Manage 3D settings" in nvidia control panel, do you have "low latency mode" set to "Ultra"? I had a similar issue and this was causing it for me. Switching to "On" seemed to resolve it. Let me know if that does it ;)

TTT

Re: G-sync and variable frame times causing undetectable stutter?

Post by TTT » 08 Jan 2021, 06:11

Are you capping framerate?

If you are capping in game it isn't a perfect frametime, you need to cap via NCP or RTSS but will get a latency/input lag increase from using ingame though.