Issues with optimal G-sync settings.

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Beachwrack

Issues with optimal G-sync settings.

Post by Beachwrack » 18 Jan 2021, 09:48

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a new certified g-sync compatible lg monitor. 1080p @144hz and im having severe difficulty getting it to work properly with gsync. It is setup correctly as per this sites instructions (gsync on, vsync on in NVCP, vsync off in game, and im using the frame rate limiter in NVCP at 141) but I'm having microstutters in most games I play. This includes ESO, Greedfall, pathfinder kingmaker, and many others. Along with the microstutters I seem to feel a kind of slow down or smearing effect that gives me headaches if I turn the camera too quickly.

I would say this is the monitors fault but I recently came from a viewsonic xg2402 and experienced the exact same issues on it as well. The only partial fixes that have done anything in my testing are the following:

Turned off vsync in nvcp (tearing in the bottom of the screen although sometimes the smear slowdown effect seemed to dissipate when turning the camera)

Keeping vsync on in nvcp but turning off the frame rate limiter seems to help with some of the microstutters but not completely.

My build is
I7 7700k
1080ti
1 terabyte ssd
16gb of 3200 ram
windows 10 pro 64bit

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jorimt

Re: Issues with optimal G-sync settings.

Post by jorimt » 18 Jan 2021, 10:10

Beachwrack wrote:
18 Jan 2021, 09:48
I'm having microstutters in most games I play. This includes ESO, Greedfall, pathfinder kingmaker, and many others. Along with the microstutters I seem to feel a kind of slow down or smearing effect that gives me headaches if I turn the camera too quickly.

I would say this is the monitors fault but I recently came from a viewsonic xg2402 and experienced the exact same issues on it as well.
G-SYNC does not eliminate system-side stutter, motion blur or overdrive artifacts. It only eliminates traditional V-SYNC-induced stutter, and input lag, along with tearing inside the refresh rate.

Also, unlike G-SYNC monitors containing hardware modules, the majority of G-SYNC Compatible monitors do not support variable overdrive, which can affect the appearance of ghosting/overdrive artifacts during variable framerates in VRR mode (dependent on the monitor model).
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

TTT

Post by TTT » 18 Jan 2021, 11:15

If it happens on 2 different monitors, its more than likely your PC or the way you have your PC set up causing it.

Beachwrack

Post by Beachwrack » 19 Jan 2021, 12:57

Thank you for the fast responses. I assumed that the actual certified compatible monitors would perform better than the uncertified ones such as the xg2402. I will say this, I remember gsync working more effectively (cleaner) on a precious nvidia update on my old monitor.

Last point I would like to discuss is after calling the Nvidia support line, they told me that certified compatible monitors will not work as they should with my 1080ti. They said they only work well with the rtx generation. Module gsync monitors will work with my gtx generation though. Is any of that true? I had never heard that before.

Thank ya'll again for all your help.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 19 Jan 2021, 13:46

Beachwrack wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 12:57
I assumed that the actual certified compatible monitors would perform better than the uncertified ones such as the xg2402.
Native G-SYNC will have variable overdrive, which will reduce ghosting during VRR operation, but, fair warning, like G-SYNC Compatible, it won't reduce or remove motion blur or system-side stutter.
Beachwrack wrote:
19 Jan 2021, 12:57
Last point I would like to discuss is after calling the Nvidia support line, they told me that certified compatible monitors will not work as they should with my 1080ti. They said they only work well with the rtx generation. Module gsync monitors will work with my gtx generation though. Is any of that true? I had never heard that before.
G-SYNC Compatible requirements are 10 series or higher, so you're covered there:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers ... /related/1

Perhaps support was referring to overall performance improvements of the newer RTX cards, which would allow a higher sustained framerate within the VRR range?
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)