Black screen in games at the fps cap

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
qavaine

Black screen in games at the fps cap

Post by qavaine » 22 Jan 2021, 07:02

Hello everyone,

Recently I've purchased the monitor Iiyama GB2760QSU-B1 (27"; 2560x1440; 144 Hz; FreeSync Premium).

It is a really nice display. It is not G-Sync Compatible officially, but appears to work (almost) properly with G-Sync option in NVCP. The only issue is that I encounter random black screens when FPS stays for some reasonable amount of time at a maximul level. I have V-Sync on and FPS cap at 141. So, when a scene in a game is relatively simple (checked in GTA V and Metro 2033 Redux) and FPS stays at its highest values (> 135), random screen blackout may occur for 1-2 s. Then it goes back to normal. In other instances, with changing framerate, where G-Sync is working, there is no such issue, everything is nice, smooth and no black screens. I've also checked this issue at 120 Hz (cap at 117). Same story. It seems that signal is not stable at high framerate values.

I'm a bit confused actually. I've heard about similar issues (black screens) on FreeSync/G-Sync monitors when hitting low framerate, but this situation is weird.

CPU and GPU do not overheat (70 C max). The drivers are latest (461.09). No overclocking.

Any way to fix that?

My setup:
Intel 9600KF
MSI RTX 2060 Super
MSI Z390-A PRO
Chieftec 750W PSU
16 Gb Ram

Sorry for possible mistakes in English and thanks in advance.

qavaine

Re: Black screen in games at the fps cap

Post by qavaine » 06 Feb 2021, 06:49

After some research I came to the conclusion that the black screen issue indeed happens at high fps values, at or near the fps cap (capped at 100, 120 or 140 fps, doesn't matter, maybe lower than 100 as well). For example, during driving or running in GTA V (framerate is changing from 50 to 100 depending on the location), I haven't encountered any black screens ever. However, in uninhabited areas (empty rooms, etc) when fps hit maximum and stay on this level, black screen occasionally occurs. Similarly, in old non-demanding games that steadily run at high fps black screens occur often.

I suggest now that the primary criterion is not actually high fps, but low GPU load (maybe both factors). If GPU is under high load in demanding games, G-Sync (FreeSync) works properly. When it is not, G-Sync randomly crashes to produce black screen (signal loss). This is weird but that's it.

That being said, the problem is definitely not in the GPU itself but in the monitor (Iiyama G-Master GB2760QSU-B1), since there are some reviews on Amazon and few topics across the web where people describe the same issue with this display with FreeSync on. Probably some incompatibility between the monitor and GPU drivers. No fix though.

Any comments are greatly appreciated, maybe someone who owns this monitor finally figured out how to solve the problem.

qavaine

Post by qavaine » 24 Feb 2021, 00:04

Update 2.

I tried to disable vsync in NVCP and unlock fps to check whether the problem is indeed related to a fps cap. The issue still occured at ~137 fps. So, this is either because the framerate was close to the max Hz value (144) and the latter acted as a "cap" or because GPU load was not high (I was starring uselessly at the wall in game at that moment). I also noticed that the monitor refresh values do not strictly match framerate values but rather fluctuate around; it happens both with vsync on and off. However, probably it is ok for freesync monitors in the g sync mode.

I do not actually expect anyone to help me with the issue because it is weird and is probably an unsolvable bug of Iiyama monitors (it's a shame cause otherwise the displays are great), but probably this information will be of interest and will provide some insights to people with similar issues.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2021, 00:55

qavaine wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 00:04
I do not actually expect anyone to help me with the issue because it is weird and is probably an unsolvable bug of Iiyama monitors (it's a shame cause otherwise the displays are great), but probably this information will be of interest and will provide some insights to people with similar issues.
I might be able to help.

1. Download ToastyX CRU from www.monitortests.com
2. Edit your refresh rate to raise FreeSync minimum Hz to 55 instead of 48
3. Reboot or run restart64.exe (to restart the graphics driver)
4. Try playing game again.

You can change the refresh rate range to avoid refresh rates that are close to blackout refresh rates. Sometimes the blackout occurs only during fast slew of refresh rate (e.g. 144fps suddenly going to 48fps then back). Or other bugs in the monitor that has no headroom for overshooting VRR range briefly (see thread below). Narrowing the refresh rate range helps a bit. Plus, frame rate capping also helps to an extent. (Especially microsecond-accurate precise frame rate cappers such as RTSS. 144fps "average" means some refresh cycles may be 1/145sec and others 1/43sec, so a bit of headroom below max-Hz is needed). Most blackout bugs are caused by min-Hz issues, but occasionally I've seen max-Hz-related blackout issues.

Related Thread: viewtopic.php?f=17&p=64072#p64072
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

qavaine

Post by qavaine » 24 Feb 2021, 05:04

Hello Chief,

Thank you very much for your reply!

The default min Freesync Hz for this monitor is 40. I've already tried to raise this value up to 50 with no success. I also tried to lower the upper limit to 140 with no luck.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 00:55
You can change the refresh rate range to avoid refresh rates that are close to blackout refresh rates.
This appears to be true, but how to establish these blackout refresh rates? I encountered black screen issues with fps staying constantly (capped) at 141, 117 and 100 fps, and these blackouts were in non-dymanic "idle" situations like staring at the wall or staying in empty rooms, or in non-demanding games. These are very different values. However, I can't completely rule out the possibility of a sudden momentary fps drop in these situations. On the other hand, there were no blackouts in menus or cut scenes (with 20 or 30 fps) and I have never experienced black screens under high GPU load, even when the fps obviously dropped to <40.

I will try raising the lower FreeSync limit to 55 and then reply back. Cheers!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2021, 05:22

Hmm. There could be other bugs lurking within that aren't fixable by this.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer and asking if they have a firmware upgrade available?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

qavaine

Post by qavaine » 24 Feb 2021, 05:57

I've tried to raise the lower limit to 55 with no luck:( However, I've noticed that editing a V rate in CRU does not make sense at all for this monitor. For example, I can type some bizzare range like 55-200 or 1-10 and then restart and there is no error. It is possible to raise up to 510 Hz O_o. Or am I doing something wrong? CRU -> Active Display -> Edit -> V rate -> OK -> OK, then restart64.exe.

Actually, the monitor is recognized by the CRU, for example it is possible to raise the actual maximum Hz (overclock) it to 145 or 146 Hz (with image bugs appearing), but the behaviour described above is weird.
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 05:22
Hmm. There could be other bugs lurking within that aren't fixable by this.
It seems very likely:(
Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 05:22
Have you tried contacting the manufacturer and asking if they have a firmware upgrade available?
Monitors of this brand do not receive updates for firmware, there are only color profiles available. Nobody cares)

Unfortunately, no more trust in Iiyama monitors.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 Feb 2021, 16:59

Another test to try.

1. Instead of doing VRR range, create a brand new custom refresh rate of 180 Hz (instead of 200 Hz).
Like creating a custom resolution (but using the same resolution as before, but instead specifying a direct custom refresh rate).

2. If that fails, repeat the above, but try out "CVT" instead of "CVT-R" formula, to give it larger blanking intervals (more time between refresh cycles for the monitor).

These are longshot tips but may bring the monitor electronics well into its specifications away from potentially borderline limits. If 180 Hz custom Hz works correctly you can repeat getting closer (e.g. 190 Hz or 195 Hz).

qavaine

Post by qavaine » 24 Feb 2021, 22:23

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 16:59
Another test to try.

1. Instead of doing VRR range, create a brand new custom refresh rate of 180 Hz (instead of 200 Hz).
Like creating a custom resolution (but using the same resolution as before, but instead specifying a direct custom refresh rate).

2. If that fails, repeat the above, but try out "CVT" instead of "CVT-R" formula, to give it larger blanking intervals (more time between refresh cycles for the monitor).

These are longshot tips but may bring the monitor electronics well into its specifications away from potentially borderline limits. If 180 Hz custom Hz works correctly you can repeat getting closer (e.g. 190 Hz or 195 Hz).
It is a 144 Hz monitor.

Lowering refresh rate might be a way to go. However, there was a blackscreen while staying at 117 fps in a 120 Hz mode.

By the way, the FreeSync entry is missing from the Data blocks. Not sure if it is ok or not. As far as i remember, I've already tried to add it manually, not sure about the numbers though. Here I can also type some strange intervals like 1-250 and the driver accepts it.
1.png
1.png (58.45 KiB) Viewed 7663 times

Bolet

Post by Bolet » 05 May 2021, 15:18

Dude, did you solve the problem?
The same thing happens to me. :|