Monitor goes black for a second then comes back (happens after monitor wakes from low power state)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Choober

Monitor goes black for a second then comes back (happens after monitor wakes from low power state)

Post by Choober » 15 Feb 2021, 16:33

Been having a problem with my monitor and have been pulling my hair out trying to solve it. I know this isn't a troubleshooting forum but I'm sure there are a lot of knowledgeable people floating around and I would appreciate some help. Please read the whole thing, I believe my issue is different than other black screen problems.

My problem is that my screen will go black for about 1 second, then come back to normal. No crashes, no errors, no nothing. Here is the confusing part: It will only happen after the monitor wakes from a low power state or from being off. This includes starting up my PC in the morning, as well as any time the display turns off automatically and I go to wake it up. From the testing I've done, it is not necessary for the computer itself to be off/asleep, only the display. The black screen generally happens between 3 and 10 minutes after I start using the computer and does not seem to be triggered by anything.

Unfortunately I don't know if the monitor is losing signal during this time. The black screen does not last long enough for a "no signal" message to appear, that usually takes 2-3 seconds. Also, as far as I can tell, the monitor is not changing any settings (resolution and refresh rate stays the same). Lastly, I'm not 100% about this but I don't think the monitor turns off during this time either. The screen goes black, but it looks to me like the pixels are still on, different from how it would look if the display was off.

I have already tried numerous things to fix this, including doing a clean install of my GPU driver, using a different DP cable, using a different DP slot on the GPU, clean booting, re-seating the GPU, and a ton of other things. Nothing has worked, and I am leaning more and more towards this being a monitor issue.

Importantly, gaming performance is NORMAL. Clocks, memory, power, all completely fine while gaming.

My display is an Asus VG27AQ running at 165Hz. I do not think the overclock is the problem as the issue persists at lower refresh rates. I ran the same monitor off of a laptop for months without issue, though I was using HDMI at 144Hz.

My GPU is an RTX 2080 Super which I bought used. However it is less than a year old according to the receipt given to me by the seller, and he told me that he did not experience anything similar while he was using it. The GPU is not OC'd in any way.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? The fact that the display does not present an error until several minutes after waking is very strange. One would think that if there was an issue that it would present itself right away, and the inconsistent timing (3-10 minutes after wake) doesn't help either.

Thanks!