Does having GSYNC/Freesync enabled in firmware (OSD), but disabled in NVCP still induce input lag?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
nextdayair

Does having GSYNC/Freesync enabled in firmware (OSD), but disabled in NVCP still induce input lag?

Post by nextdayair » 16 Feb 2021, 14:29

I am on an Elite XG270, and I want to play a few competitive games with GSYNC *disabled* in order to minimize input lag... but I would like to leave adaptive sync on in the OSD since I still use GSYNC in other games. If I am playing a competitive game with GSYNC disabled via NVCP, am I still being affected by the GSYNC input lag, since adaptive sync is still technically enabled on a firmware level (in the OSD).

For the time being, I have disabled adaptive sync entirely via the OSD, because I am afraid that I am still going to get hit by the GSYNC input lag in the select few games where I need to minimize input lag.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Does having GSYNC/Freesync enabled in firmware (OSD), but disabled in NVCP still induce input lag?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Feb 2021, 17:08

Short answer:

You should be good. XG270 has similar overdrive in FreeSync ON versus FreeSync OFF for max-Hz (240Hz) so the look is fine.

Long Answer:

First, just to be clear, "GSYNC lag" is confusing, because:

1. GSYNC/FreeSync is generally the world's lowest lag "non-VSYNC-OFF" sync technology.
2. "GSYNC lag" comes mainly from framerates trying to exceed refresh rates, as well as the lag inconsistency at the crossing threshold (fps < Hz) versus (fps >= Hz)
3. Some monitors have different processing latencies for VRR ON/OFF but sometimes they're quite similar, if you meet certain conditions

(The esports community parrots about GSYNC lag, without fully understanding what "GSYNC lag" is, and how to avoid it)

More information can be found in GSYNC 101 on this, www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101

Now, that being said, most of the time (if the monitor is designed correctly), enabling GSYNC/FreeSync monitor side but disabling on driver side, will have similar lag to having both sides turned off. So you should be OK. However, some changes may occur such as the inability to turn on PureXP or other tweaks (e.g. unable to adjust overdrive). Which may affect GtG pixel response time and affect/improve/equalize lag indirectly (but this is not VRR lag).

For those who wishes to play GSYNC in esports, I always recommend the fastest scanout available (to avoid scanout lag, www.blurbusters.com/scanout ... as well) as a VRR range wider than frame rate range, so capping becomes unnecessary. Unfortunately, that is difficult to do without a 360 Hz GSYNC monitor though (where it's easy to fit 100fps-300fps completely within the VRR range of a 360 Hz monitor). That's the best way to avoid "GSYNC lag" -- ultrafast scanout + humongous VRR range beyond framerate range.

That said, if you just want to play VSYNC OFF, it is usually acceptable to leave VRR enabled monitor-side, unless its processing is extremely laggy. Try it both ways to verify -- and check the most reputable sources -- it varies from monitor to monitor.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

TTT

Re: Does having GSYNC/Freesync enabled in firmware (OSD), but disabled in NVCP still induce input lag?

Post by TTT » 16 Feb 2021, 17:35

I was thinking the same but I've just left it completely off in the OSD.

At 240hz I can't see any tearing no matter how low I cap the FPS with it off anyway and trying to play a competitive shooter online I can definitely tell the difference between Gsync on and off.

The best I can describe it is having Gsync on makes it feel like there is more drag on the mouse and where I feel like I'm trying to place my mouse is always slightly off.

Arx

Post by Arx » 14 Apr 2021, 22:03

I think the main post is referring to a known issue, instead of the "theoretical g-sync delay":
https://youtu.be/L42nx6ubpfg?t=838