Does G-SYNC reduce motion blur?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Haste

Re: Does G-SYNC reduce motion blur?

Post by Haste » 16 May 2014, 16:23

RealNC wrote:Devs should stop developing on monster machines. Develop on slow ones instead. This isn't just good advice for games development, but for pretty much everything.
Totally.
I wonder if BlurBusters could inspire the developers to target higher frame rates for their game.
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q X

PoWn3d_0704

Post by PoWn3d_0704 » 17 May 2014, 23:00

GSync so far has been awesome. I mean, I took a GPU out of my main gaming machine. I went from SLI 670's to just one, and I still play Metro, and Crysis. It means less heat in my Non Air Conditioned house, and my FPS still looks smooth.
Asus VG248QE with GSync. Blur Busters GSync Contest Winner.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2014, 02:00

Yeah, I remember you had to remove a GPU from your SLI, to make GSYNC work properly.

Newer NVIDIA drivers have improved SLI-friendliness with GSYNC, I think.
Have you dared to reinstall your second GPU yet?

But yes, it's a testament of how well GSYNC improves motion clarity, to the point where it can be preferable to pay for a GSYNC upgrade, than to pay for a second graphics card in SLI. That said, it's important that NVIDIA doesn't hurt the valuable SLI market (you wouldn't want NVIDIA to abandon GSYNC because it inadvertently reduced GPU sales!). GSYNC can look even further better with a properly-functioning SLI setup, even smoothing-out the SLI microstutters (if implemented properly). So NVIDIA has a huge incentive to make sure GSYNC works properly with SLI.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 18 May 2014, 04:21

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
RealNC wrote:For games where you simply cannot maintain a high frame rate, then you need to decide what the lesser evil is for you. Stutter, or some extra motion blur? Stutter imo is way more annoying.
For low frame rates, GSYNC really does a superb job on that. You really want to enable GSYNC for games like BF4 or Crysis3, since the framerates fly all over the place. The only way wildly varying framerates can become stutterfree is wildly varying refresh rate perfectly in sync - aka GSYNC. 40fps thru 70fps randomized looks like one big smooth framerate, as if 60fps@60Hz perfect sync. In that sense, GSYNC is miraculous in undoing stutter visibility of that.

However...
The moment I can sustain darn near perfect 85fps at 85Hz (VSYNC ON and solo gaming when a bit of lag doesnt matter), I prefer the simultaneously blurfree / tearfree / stutterfree experience of blur reduction modes (LightBoost sequels that doesn't affect color much, such as ULMB, Turbo240 or BENQ Blure Reduction)
Just want to revisit this for a bit. I am worried that the fluctuations in hz (and therefore blur) will be too distracting. Some of my games now fluctuate between 85+ and 60. And there is a quite visible difference in blur playing a game at 85 vs. 60. Those of you who have G-Sync, do you find the variation in blur distracting? Not necessary the blur itself, but the variation I mean. Or don't you notice it?

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 18 May 2014, 08:13

Chief Blur Buster wrote:But yes, it's a testament of how well GSYNC improves motion clarity, to the point where it can be preferable to pay for a GSYNC upgrade, than to pay for a second graphics card in SLI.

Guys... i cannot possibly describe how much i want a 21:9 gsync monitor. Like... id freeze myself if i wasnt sure it would kill me.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2014, 13:24

whitestar wrote:Just want to revisit this for a bit. I am worried that the fluctuations in hz (and therefore blur) will be too distracting.
This is silly.

Fluctuations with GSYNC are many, many times less distracting with GSYNC than without.
That's the biggest advantage of GSYNC.
I can't tell my framerate is fluctuating at all. 20fps framerate fluctuations are rendered INVISIBLE with GSYNC!

For more information:
http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview/

Stutters are much more noticeable than ultraminor variances in motion blur. Look at http://www.testufo.com -- you can see motion blur doubles at half framerates. With GSYNC, the blur is a perfect continuum instead of at steps. So if you vary from 55fps to 56fps, your blurtrail shortened by less than 2% (55/56ths as long as the last frame). Then the next frame you varied to 56fps->58fps, your blurtrail shortens by 56/58ths. The miniscule variations of blur trails are completely invisible compared to the stutters you used to have. There's no stutter from framerate variances when you use GSYNC. Varying framerates is stutter free with GSYNC. So if over a time period such as 2 second, if your framerate 60fps slowed down to 30fps then back up to 60fps, the blur trail slowly lengthened from the amount of blur the 60fps UFO to the 30fps UFO then shortened back to the 60fps UFO so subtly (look at http://www.testufo.com for the amount of blur behind each framerate). It happens so subtly that you often don't always visually notice your framerate fell temporarily to 30fps

A good animation of the GSYNC smooth varying blur continuum is found at http://www.testufo.com/stutter#demo=gsync (but make sure your browser is 100% perfectly smooth with http://www.testufo.com first -- you don't want external stutters interfering with the animation. Also view with LightBoost turned off). But be noted that this is not fully accurate because this is software-based simulation of GSYNC. The real GSYNC looks much better in person, for double-digit fluctuating-framerate games (BF4, Crysis3, etc) that can't easily run at framerates worthy of LightBoost (triple-digit framerates).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

whitestar

Post by whitestar » 19 May 2014, 02:22

You're right, it was kind of a silly question. Especially, I guess, since with G-sync you don't have to pick a certain hz and then get large stutters when the fps drops below. That is in fact the thing that irks me the most with my current monitor.

That said, I am here to learn, because I don't know how G-sync is. So questions will be asked, silly or not. :)

cast

Post by cast » 20 May 2014, 22:21

do i need gsync and vertical synchronization on games that run at 400 fps for me (like league of legends)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 21 May 2014, 16:53

cast wrote:do i need gsync and vertical synchronization on games that run at 400 fps for me (like league of legends)
If you don't mind tearing/microstutter, you can use VSYNC OFF, instead of using GSYNC. At 400fps, you've already reduced a lot of microstutter and made tearing more invisible, so for those games, you can play at that. However, if you enable GSYNC, you want to cap the framerate slightly below the GSYNC maximum rate.

GSYNC monitors supports all modes: VSYNC ON versus VSYNC OFF versus GSYNC