Gsync Blur?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
STOPchris

Gsync Blur?

Post by STOPchris » 21 Feb 2021, 18:04

Gsync makes everything smoother at lower than your monitor's native refresh rate, as the FPS dips below that number. However, it also makes the monitor take on the blur of those refresh rates and higher input lag? I've been testing my 4K 144Hz monitor out with the two options, 144Hz with 10 bit color vs 120Hz, Gsync with 8 bit color. Besides the 8 bit color (which is noticeable), the one thing that I am noticing is a good deal more blur from the monitor response times as the FPS/refresh rate dips with Gsync. I have the Predator XB273K, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Gsync Blur?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Feb 2021, 02:04

STOPchris wrote:
21 Feb 2021, 18:04
Gsync makes everything smoother at lower than your monitor's native refresh rate, as the FPS dips below that number. However, it also makes the monitor take on the blur of those refresh rates and higher input lag? I've been testing my 4K 144Hz monitor out with the two options, 144Hz with 10 bit color vs 120Hz, Gsync with 8 bit color. Besides the 8 bit color (which is noticeable), the one thing that I am noticing is a good deal more blur from the monitor response times as the FPS/refresh rate dips with Gsync. I have the Predator XB273K, does anyone have any thoughts on this?
In an ideal world, the frame rate is the refresh rate, and the refresh rate is the frame rate.

e.g.
G-SYNC 47fps looks like perfect VSYNC ON 47fps @ 47Hz
G-SYNC 60fps looks like perfect VSYNC ON 60fps @ 60Hz
G-SYNC 113.39fps looks like perfect VSYNC ON 113.39fps @ 113.39Hz

Exception
G-SYNC is not worse blur than non-G-SYNC VSYNC OFF nor VSYNC ON. However, some monitors have more terrible overdrive during G-SYNC operation than non-G-SYNC operation, so if you're getting worse results than G-SYNC, that's because of flawed VRR overdrive. The best fix to this is to get a NVIDIA-certified G-SYNC, preferably G-SYNC native, if you want to avoid flawed VRR overdrive. Monitors that are not G-SYNC native chipped, can have variable ghosting problems that make it worse than non-native.

VRR Is Good Demo Of Continuum Of Display Motion Blur
It is an excellent demonstration of Blur Busters Law: 1ms of pixel visibility time translates to 1 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec. Double frame rate halves motion blur. So 240Hz has 1/4th the motion blur of 60Hz. It's why we want 1000Hz too, since eliminating motion blur via sheer frame rate is the way to go (better than strobing). Where GPU horsepower permits, of course. See Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000 Hz Displays.

Alternative Solutions If You Hate Motion Blur
1. Nonstrobed: Use a higher refresh rate such as 240Hz or 360Hz. Doubling Hz halves motion blur, if you can keep framerates high. This is hard to do at high resolutions, and is much easier at 1080p.
2. Strobed: Use strobing at perfect framerate=Hz. Sometimes 85fps@85Hz VSYNC ON strobed is superior to VRR, but only if you can maintain a perfect 85fps.

Good Guide For Motion Clarity Connoisseurs
Optimize your refresh rate and frame rate with a strobe backlight in accordance to CRT Nirvana Guide For Disappointed CRT To LCD Upgraders.

If reducing motion blur via strobe method and your priority is stutter-free zero-blur (instead of lag), raise your framerate as high as possible, then lower your refresh rate to match the framerate valley, then use VSYNC ON (or low-lag variants), to enjoy the amazing CRT zero-motion-blur behaviors (if you can tolerate the flicker & sometimes the brightness loss found in most strobe backlights). Framerate=Hz matching is hard to do in some games such as Cyberpunk 2077 but now easy to do with many older games such as Bioshock etc.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!