Problem with Adaptive\GSync and Black Frame Insertion

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
STOPchris

Re: Problem with Adaptive\GSync and Black Frame Insertion

Post by STOPchris » 27 Feb 2021, 22:58

mamenewb100 wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 22:25
STOPchris wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 14:10
mamenewb100 wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 12:57
In case you're wondering why I used BFI on a CRT.. it's because I had a 480p 60Hz CRT Monitor and needed BFI for 120Hz to downscale the display to Native 240p Arcade Resolutions. Kind of a backwards technology hack. But it worked flawlessly. ;)
I have always found that a good 240Hz monitor is overall better than BFI.
I'm not in disagreement that having a fast refresh in anything is better. BFI is pointless on PC games since you can use pure framerates to eliminate any blur or ghosting. But that's not how emulated hardware works. Most of the old emulated hardware I run ran at 60Hz or less with only 60FPS max. 60 Hz is not smooth on modern IPS monitors. No option for unlimited FPS to match your refresh rate, unlike every new computer game. So you only get 60Hz refresh speed, even if your monitor is capable of 1000Hz. If you ran a 60FPS emulated game at 240FPS, the audio and video would run at 4 times the speed it's supposed to. Fast Pixel Response times are the ONLY way to overcome low refresh rates without using tricks like BFI. See what I mean?

When I get my hands on a true Sub-1ms IPS display in the future, I certainly won't bother with any gimmicks that aren't necessary.
Yeah, I do not run any emulators. For regular PC gaming higher refresh rates are better than BFI for me. I did like the very first Gsync monitor that I had, the one where you had to buy the Gsync module and install it yourself. That monitor did BFI right in my opinion, but I believe that is because of what Chief Blur Buster was saying. You had to use the old trick to get it to strobe. I haven't seen a BFI solution built into any of my monitors work that good since.