old pc had no gsync brightness fluctuation, new pc has

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
teG

old pc had no gsync brightness fluctuation, new pc has

Post by teG » 06 Mar 2021, 12:23

Had an gtx1070 in my old pc and now I have an rtx3070. I noticed that gsync is causing very slight but still noticable brightness fluctuation in my games.

teG

Re: old pc had no gsync brightness fluctuation, new pc has

Post by teG » 07 Mar 2021, 12:58

Not sure why the moderator chose this out of my two submissions. Way to go. Anyway it seems to. He better with vsync enabled.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 07 Mar 2021, 17:52

teG wrote:
07 Mar 2021, 12:58
Not sure why the moderator chose this out of my two submissions. Way to go. Anyway it seems to. He better with vsync enabled.
Hello,
I don't know which moderator missed your post. But you have 4 posts on Blur Busters forums:
search.php?author_id=10733&sr=posts

Occasinally, sometimes the moderator queue is full of 100 or 200 posts (occasionally, sometimes half of them advertising spam such as cars, perfumes, skateboards, Nigera, and non-BlurBusters stuff). And sometimes your 2nd post is far down the queue or may have accidentally be missed over. Be noted that volunteer moderators are unpaid. Sometimes a moderator might have only time to approve posts for a few of the topic areas, and then forget a few or let someone else (such as me) finally get to it.

Right now, at 4 posts, you are outside the approval queue and can post immediately. We've improved the filtering and reduced the aggressiveness threshold of moderator queue. The approve queue is mainly to catch those creative spammers that are missed by the spam filter.

I checked the logs and I am confused -- there doesn't seem to be any post of yours that was disapproved but I only took a quick glance. Check your 4 posts.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

teG

Post by teG » 07 Mar 2021, 18:43

Sorry I don't know what is going on but this post is good enough lol, thank you for your reply.

I am wondering if the gsync brightness fluctation is present due to a recent windows update? I have seen topics about full screen optimization being forced on despite disabling it. I have tried disabling it in the properties of the games and I have also changed some registry keys but nothing has changed.

On my old pc I had 0 gsync brightness fluctuation and the reason I believe that it's something to do with windows rather than having a new computer is the fact that it is mild and disabling fullscreen optimizations on my old pc would fix it and reduce it to no brightness fluctuations what so ever.

Also the fact that it doesn't do it in all of my games. In fact it seems to be non existent in a couple of games I'm playing whilst other game sit can be very noticeable and some not very noticeable where as before there was no brightness fluctuations what so ever.

teG

Post by teG » 08 Mar 2021, 08:38

I changed the settings in the nvidia control panel for the applications to use application controlled frequency (hz) and changed my games to 144hz instead of 240hz (I notice no smoothness difference as I don't play at such high frames above 144fps anyway) and now it is very very minimal in the game I had the brightness fluctuation the worse in so I am happy with that. Although It was fine before and I never had to do this on this monitor.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Mar 2021, 06:29

teG wrote:
08 Mar 2021, 08:38
I changed the settings in the nvidia control panel for the applications to use application controlled frequency (hz) and changed my games to 144hz instead of 240hz (I notice no smoothness difference as I don't play at such high frames above 144fps anyway) and now it is very very minimal in the game I had the brightness fluctuation the worse in so I am happy with that. Although It was fine before and I never had to do this on this monitor.
Another trick is to use ToastyX CRU to edit your minimum refresh rate of your VRR range, e.g. 55Hz-240Hz. This prevents flicker from LFC. Different graphics drivers / different GPUs can have weird LFC behaviours, especially when menus are brought up/dismissed. And Full Screen Optimizations sometimes affects the frame rates that occur during dramatic framerate changes.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

teG

Post by teG » 09 Mar 2021, 14:25

I have full vrr range. listed for 1 to 240hz. The fluctuation can happen at higher framerates too so like you said it must be to do with a different graphics card or and drivers but then again..

A very important note is that there is one game that it doesn't do it on called cities skylines but I've noticed that I can force the brightness to fluctuate in cities skylines by putting gsync in "windowed and fullscreen". Switching to "fullscreen only" in cities skylines completely stops the brightness fluctuations but it doesn't fix it in any other game which makes no sense what so ever. So I don't understand why it does it in other games unless it's something to do with Windows not running alot of games in true full screen mode despite what I'm lead to believe by the options checked in front of me.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 09 Mar 2021, 18:30

teG wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 14:25
I have full vrr range. listed for 1 to 240hz. The fluctuation can happen at higher framerates too so like you said it must be to do with a different graphics card or and drivers but then again..
Which monitor do you have?

Low Hz VRR looks better via LFC because native low-Hz VRR can flicker. I believe you're using G-SYNC native, right? Or are you using G-SYNC Compatible -- those flicker more.

Many people need to raise native Hz higher to prevent flicker, so that LFC can do low-Hz without flicker.

Brightness fluctuations most frequently occurs when there's sudden framerate jumps like 30fps -> 240fps -> 30fps -> 240fps, like when bringing up a menu, or during disk access.

Fullscreen-vs-Windowed simply sometimes changes how frequently the framerates will jump, e.g. bringing up a menu might not gyrate the framerate as much. So you're just describing a domino effect.

My advice still stands.

teG

Post by teG » 09 Mar 2021, 19:05

I am using a native gsync monitor (hp omen x25) not the x25f.

Well there is 0 brightness fluctuation in cities skylines when loading a city (this city is huge and is used more for a bit of fun to see how people's computers run it) it takes a while to load and despite the frames going all over the place down to 25 there's no brightness fluctuation what so ever while in my other games there is brightness fluctuations to some degree, especially in loading screens despite cities skylines having no issues. This tells me that I do not have to change anything to do with vrr windows. My monitor is listed to have a vrr window of 1 to 240hz and this issue is not happening in this game.

teG

Post by teG » 28 Mar 2021, 11:49

I performed some further tests.

It seems that all games that I have played so far has brightness fluctuation to a degree as I may ahve already mentioned.

I enabled xbox game bar and used win+g keys to bring up the overlay. In all games the overlay will appear wwhen fullscreen optimizations are set to ON, if I try to bring up the overlay with FSO off then the games minimizes to desktop so this proves to me that disabling optimizations still works apart from...

The above test found a very strange behaviour, cities skylines will show the xbox game bar overlay in the game with both FSO on and off!??

Now that is very stange to me. Even stranger is the fact that cities skylines will show now sign of brightness fluctuation what so ever, which ever settings I throw at it, the only setting that causes the gsync to fluctuate brightness in this game is to set gsync to fullscreen and windowed mode rather than fullscreen mode.

The most important thing I need to understand is what is it about this game that doesn't cause the gsync brightness fluctuations but I don't think that I will ever get to the bottom of it.