Screen tearing and stuttering on gsync monitor

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jjmcnamara98

Screen tearing and stuttering on gsync monitor

Post by jjmcnamara98 » 07 Mar 2021, 19:15

Hi, I've never posted on this but will try my best to explain my situation!

I have a good 144hz gsync monitor paired with an nvidia rtx 3070, I play call of duty cold war and I notice with gsync and vsync on I still get screen tearing and stuttering when my fps reaches above roughly 120fps for some reason..
( I mainly notice it when I look up into the sky with my character).

Surely this shouldn't be happening given gsync and vsync is on? I've tried leaving v sync off, capping my fps etc but even when capped at 140 it still tears above 120ish.. i also thought maybe it's a poor cable, but it's a display port 1.2 which came with the monitor, also maybe its just an issue with cold war, but I also noticed it in bo3 when I played it. Hopefully someone understands this problem and can help me out! Thanks!

teG

Re: Screen tearing and stuttering on gsync monitor

Post by teG » 11 Mar 2021, 04:31

71 views and no help? Nice.

I won't assume or blame it on a weak cpu as I never had this issue with my old cpu.

Have you tried all of the different combinations of vsync settings betwen the nvidia control panel and the game settings until it possibly fixes it?

Set gsync to full screen.

Create game short cut, right click the short cut and go to properties and tick the box for disable full screen optimizations (wishful thinking with this).

In the Nvdia control panel..

Have you checked that he preferred refresh rate setting for the game is set to highest possible and have the game's refresh rate setting (if there is one) in the options menu set to the same as your monitors refresh rate? While at the same time checking that your Monitor is set to 144hz in both the Nvidia control panel and in windows advanced display settings?

If none of that works try setting Nvidia control panel cold war preferred refresh rate to application controlled.

Obviously if none of this helps then set it all back to how it was. Other than this I can't be of any more help sorry.

TTT

Post by TTT » 17 Mar 2021, 15:42

Have you double checked your ingame refresh rate under graphics settings is set to 144?

Zpaton001

Post by Zpaton001 » 15 Mar 2022, 12:32

I HOPE ANYONE WITH THIS EXACT ISSUE SEES THIS, AS THIS IS THE ACTUAL FIX.

So I also have been driven crazy by screen tearing in games like cold war. Gsync on, vsync on in Nvidia and off in game, fps locked 3fps below refresh rate, still getting the tearing along the bottom and occasionally the whole screen. I was messing around last night at like 1am and added cold war to Nvidia control panel in the 3D settings tab, scrolled down to vsync, and vsync was OFF in bold black lettering... even though I had NEVER added it to Nvidia and touched the game specific settings (so of course we all never thought of that as being the culprit, because why would it be? There's "global" settings that are supposed to WORK...) So then I just turned vsync on GAME SPECIFICALLY, IN THE DRIVER. I then started up the game and BAM I could 360 as hard as I could and it was absolute butter.

Sorry for my terrible explanation, but that will work for any game you still have tearing in. I did the same thing to modern warfare and battlefield 2042, all were the same story. Vsync was off somehow even though it was turned on globally and had never messed with those games. I cannot believe that I couldn't find this anywhere on the internet, like nobody has ever figured that out somehow..

It won't do that to every game also, majority of games on my PC don't have that issue and follow global settings just fine.

So whoever sees this, go enjoy your buttery smooth game and you're welcome!

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 15 Mar 2022, 14:09

Zpaton001 wrote:
15 Mar 2022, 12:32
I was messing around last night at like 1am and added cold war to Nvidia control panel in the 3D settings tab, scrolled down to vsync, and vsync was OFF in bold black lettering... even though I had NEVER added it to Nvidia and touched the game specific settings (so of course we all never thought of that as being the culprit, because why would it be? There's "global" settings that are supposed to WORK...)
That is certainly odd you found V-SYNC was force disabled for that game profile (and others). A clean install of the driver via DDU and/or Nvidia would have likely fixed that by resetting profiles that were obviously glitched in some way.

That said, the global NVCP V-SYNC setting will not be respected if the game's NVCP profile has it set to something different (even if you haven't previously added it; the driver has many default per-game profiles that don't show in the NVCP until you expose them), which is intended behavior. In-game V-SYNC settings will also not work if, say, the global NVCP profile (or the game's NVCP profile) has V-SYNC forced off.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)