Screen Tearing After Moving PC

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
zhnaua

Screen Tearing After Moving PC

Post by zhnaua » 15 Mar 2021, 01:21

So I just moved my PC into a different room. I noticed after the move, I'm getting screen tearing which has never been an issue before. I have two monitors, both of which are 144hz. I also noticed the screen tear usually only happens with fullscreen apps like gaming, or watching youtube videos in fullscreen. The issue occurs on both of my monitors and I'm not sure what could be causing this since it wasn't an issue a couple days ago. I factory reset my PC, reseated the GPU, tried my PC on another monitor, and tried an extra 2060 in my PC. All with screen tearing still happening. I'm assuming it has to be a problem with any cables loose or maybe something wrong with the hardware inside my PC. Anyone know how to fix it?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Screen Tearing After Moving PC

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 15 Mar 2021, 18:02

Do you remember the exact port you plugged your original monitors in? And did you assign the original monitor numbers (#1 and #2)? Swapping the two can create problems.

- Make sure you've configured NVIDIA Control Panel to G-SYNC + VSYNC ON
- Try complete cold reboot of monitors too (unplug and replug monitor)
- Try just 1 monitor, since multimonitor can be problematic
- Try complete uninstall of GPU drivers then reinstall GPU drivers
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

zhnaua

Post by zhnaua » 17 Mar 2021, 05:52

What do you mean by assigning the original monitor numbers? I have my main monitor selected as Main Display if that's what you're talking about. G-SYNC is turned on in the NVCP and I've also tried everything else you listed. The issue still persists.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2021, 08:02

In my experience, this is not caused by loose cables or loose cards.

Usually this is a software/driver issue (resetting NV Control Panel completely to defaults) or a settings issue computer-side or monitor-menu-side (setting change, factory reset, etc). There are infinite number of combinations, but there's always the nuclear option: monitor factory reset + Fresh Windows reinstall from scratch. (You can always try a 2nd computer first).

Remember, when uninstall drivers, you also need to nuke all your graphics settings completely clean. Even a mere change (e.g. installing a gaming controller driver) during the room move, could have done something. Odd things can happen.

Also when I said monitor numbers, sometimes Primary becomes numbered 2 and secondary becomes numbered 1 -- sometimes for weird reasons such as possibly plugged multiple monitors in a different order to different ports on the monitor's rear panel & different ports on the GPU (triggering different driver settings that are unexpected).

Also, it can be a game of coincidences -- a graphics driver upgrade during move could also have introduced a bug that is only fixed by rolling back to an older graphics driver. Lots of wild goose chases to red herrings have happened.

Definitely narrow your hunt to a settings problem / driver bug / software install you did during move / accidental minor change during move (even a different port on monitor + different port on card) that tips things. It would have nothing to do with loose stuff in this case, since my experience with other people this type of problem has always been scoped to a setting change/software/driver upgrade bug/firmware issue being triggered (whether as a settings messup or a bug).

Most computer moves are also accompanied by driver upgrades / software upgrades, so try to find out if your computer auto-updated your drivers (or you manually installed them).

You could try DDU (DIsplay Driver Uninstaller) while in Windows Safe Mode
www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
...The next best thing to a Windows reinstall. It's a bit risky but you need to purge all your NVIDIA settings before reinstall. There are other methods of clearing NVIDIA settings (the most common culprit).

And for completeness sake, try to install the driver version you had right before your computer move.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2021, 08:16

Which monitor models are these? A very few, rare models have firmware bugs that create tearing artifacts on monitor-side even during VSYNC ON. I don't think that's your problem, but if the above does not work...

TTT

Post by TTT » 17 Mar 2021, 15:32

Are you forcing Vsync off in NCP?

If so, put it to use 3D application.

zhnaua

Post by zhnaua » 17 Mar 2021, 23:48

So I've tried a complete factory reset on my PC, rolling back to old NVidia drivers, uninstalled and did a clean installation of NVidia drivers, moved my PC into my roommate's room and used his monitor with the same issue still occurring, switched around the ports of my monitors on my GPU, and reset NVCP's settings to default as well. I also have reset my monitor's settings. The only solution I've found is setting V-Sync in NVCP to "fast". However, I don't like the fact that V-Sync is on in general since it used to not be on in the past. Also my monitors are the LG-34GP83A-B and the MG248Q.