Is VRR now an acceptable optimization for Gsync? (Gears 5)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
joselaba97

Is VRR now an acceptable optimization for Gsync? (Gears 5)

Post by joselaba97 » 04 Apr 2021, 19:43

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if the windows 10 graphics setting “Variable Refresh Rate” is now an acceptable optimization for Gsync utilization in DX12 Ultimate applications.

My rig is a 240Hz Gsync compatible monitor(primary) along with a (secondary) 60Hz ultrawide. Gaming is done on the 240Hz monitor of course. It consists of a 2080 and i7-8700k both at stable overclocks using the latest version of Windows (21H1) AND nvidia drivers (469.85). I am using a razer basilisk ultimate (wireless) and a Corsair k95 cherry mx silent switch keyboard. I have HAGS enabled (manages OBS extremely well), LLM set to “off” in the NVCP, vsync enabled in game, and I have Gears 5 at all max settings with reduced buffering and async compute enabled (recent DX12 Ultimate optimizations). I have the game capped at 120fps due to the game being primarily optimized for the series X and this also drastically reduces GPU usage for better simultaneous management of my stream (max of 70% usage in-game, good overhead for OBS). Gsync is set to be enabled for full screen mode only.

I noticed that the series X allows a “VRR” setting equivalent that is present in Windows 10, Gears 5 is reported to operate well with this setting in the series X as well. Given that Gears 5 is a DX12 Ultimate game, does this mean that VRR is supported for DX12 ultimate applications in Windows 10 as well? It’s been reported to work with DX11 games only, but that was two years ago. I’ve enabled it and noticed that it made the game “look” smoother, but I am unsure whether or not it’s inducing or reducing total system input latency. I did notice that the game runs at a completely locked 120fps with no discernible dips or stutters with the setting enabled. The game runs at a completely locked 120fps without VRR enabled as well. However, I can’t tell if it’s “messing” latency in-game. Does this setting enable a secondary OS-level vsync? What does this setting do now given its two years old now and since the release of the series x? Is it wise to enable this setting when Gsync is enabled at optimized settings? Any information about the current state of VRR, DX12 Ultimate, and/or Gears 5 would be appreciated.

TTT

Re: Is VRR now an acceptable optimization for Gsync? (Gears 5)

Post by TTT » 05 Apr 2021, 13:46

You don't need to touch that to use VRR, just set up Gsync the standard way and it will work for pretty much all new games.

I don't even have that Windows VRR toggle anymore, I'm guessing they took it off with a newer update because it was useless anyway.

Your post is also very confusing, you are talking about settings for an Xbox and a PC in the same sentence when you obviously aren't going to be using both, you're either on a PC or an Xbox.