(help) ideal gsync setup (reflex, vsync)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
NovaBlack

(help) ideal gsync setup (reflex, vsync)

Post by NovaBlack » 15 Apr 2021, 11:04

Since overwatch introduced reflex with the latest patch, i was wondering what i should use now?

I used gsync + vsync + ingame cap -3 before with reduced buffering to on.

I've noticed when using the Nvidia vsync instead it'll cap it to 220 or something like that, with the ingame one, that doesn't happen, so which one should i use now?
Just heard the driver one tightens frametimes but i can't confirm this.

Also, do i still need to use the reduce buffer setting on top of reflex, or is that setting non relevant anymore like the driver based low latency?

In the end, all I'm looking for is a stable and smooth experience without any stuttering, tearing and low latency, i appreciate your feedback on this and hopefully i can setup my game correctly.

Thanks again

TTT

Re: (help) ideal gsync setup (reflex, vsync)

Post by TTT » 15 Apr 2021, 14:07

With Reflex on, if you use Gsync with Vsync (ingame or Nvidia) it will autocap you like you said.

If you want to cap closer to your refresh (-3), you'll have to run Gsync with no Vsync on.

I don't recall anybody testing these specifics yet but I presume the autocap is done by the Nvidia frame limiter.

I think people find capping with RTS limiter is lower input lag than using Nvidia so if you are actually hitting the limiter you will get less lag turning Vsync off and capping with RTS.

NovaBlack

Post by NovaBlack » 16 Apr 2021, 12:07

TTT wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 14:07
With Reflex on, if you use Gsync with Vsync (ingame or Nvidia) it will autocap you like you said.

If you want to cap closer to your refresh (-3), you'll have to run Gsync with no Vsync on.

I don't recall anybody testing these specifics yet but I presume the autocap is done by the Nvidia frame limiter.

I think people find capping with RTS limiter is lower input lag than using Nvidia so if you are actually hitting the limiter you will get less lag turning Vsync off and capping with RTS.
and what would be the ideal setup in terms of "feeling" like inputlag, how smooth the gameplay is etc. ?

should i go with gsync+vsync+reflex or just gsync+fps cap+reflex?

TTT

Post by TTT » 16 Apr 2021, 13:26

NovaBlack wrote:
16 Apr 2021, 12:07
TTT wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 14:07

and what would be the ideal setup in terms of "feeling" like inputlag, how smooth the gameplay is etc. ?

should i go with gsync+vsync+reflex or just gsync+fps cap+reflex?
If you care about lowest possible input lag, not caring about consistency and smoothness, then all syncs completely off.

I play on a 240hz monitor and I turn gsync on even though I can see no tearing at all, the added smoothness is massive.

But I do notice latency putting Vsync on with it, so I don't. And that stops tearing at the bottom of the screen, but on 240hz you can't see it anyway.

But always use Reflex. So I use Relflex on, turn boost on as well. I just have my games on maximum performance anyway on NCP which is the same as boost. Gsync on and Vsync forced off globally on NCP. I cap ingame to 240fps but I max out nowhere near that anyway, if you are on 144hz you can cap it to 141hz or just leave it uncapped and let it drop out of Gsync if you can hit much higher than 144hz.

Discorz
VIP Member

Post by Discorz » 21 Apr 2021, 14:24

Maybe this helps you: https://youtu.be/7DPqtPFX4xo
Also watch his other videos, amazing stuff on latency topic.

Here is a simple guide:
Image--Image
- AMD Anti-Lag, NVIDIA Low Latency Mode, NVIDIA Reflex will reduce input lag only in gpu bound situations (~99-100% gpu usage), otherwise it can increase input lag
Compare UFOs | Do you use Blur Reduction? | Smooth Frog | Latency Split Test
Alienware AW2521H, Gigabyte M32Q, Asus VG279QM, Alienware AW2518HF, AOC C24G1, AOC G2790PX, Setup