Gsync/Overdrive issue pls HELP!!!

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
rafaelk007

Gsync/Overdrive issue pls HELP!!!

Post by rafaelk007 » 17 May 2021, 21:48

Hello everyone, first sorry for any english error. I'm Brazilian so maybe I don't write everything correctly.

My problem is. I bought a monitor `` xb253q gx`` exclusively to be able to use gsync. And my headache started right after I activated it. Whenever I turn on gsync, the monitor's overdrive mode is automatically switched to `` normal`` mode and there is no way to disable it with gsync enabled. So far so good.

The problem is, when the overdrive is on, the monitor presents a kind of artifacts (I can describe them as small square pixels that always appear in the lines of some objects) I recorded a video so that you can see the artifact happening. When I put the overdrive in extreme mode it is much more visible. This artifact happens throughout the game, even if I turn off gsync the problem continues because the overdrive is still on. However, the artifact completely disappears when I turn off the overdrive, except that when I do that I am unable to activate gsync ... And gsync was the only reason I bought this monitor.

I tried everything you can imagine to try to solve this, and all I could do is just decrease a little bit of this artifact.

The way I found to make the artifact less aggressive was by creating a custom resolution on the Nvidia control panel and changing where it appears (total number of pixels) I only reduced the vertical pixels from 1215 to 1139 (it was the minimum I could) and with that the artifacts are still visible, but with a few smaller squares. I tried to change the other options, but there was no change in this problem.

As the effect diminished by creating a custom resolution and decreasing the total number of vertical pixels, it is clear that the problem has something to do with it. In the photos and videos I took a specific place for easier viewing, but it happens throughout the game scene

Do any of you have any idea what this might be? Do you have any clue on how to solve this problem? Thanks.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Gsync/Overdrive issue pls HELP!!!

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 18 May 2021, 14:33

rafaelk007 wrote:
17 May 2021, 21:48
Do any of you have any idea what this might be? Do you have any clue on how to solve this problem? Thanks.
Pay the G-SYNC premium and upgrade to a G-SYNC Native monitor. The overdrive on those are usually superior.

Unfortunately, VRR overdrive is often very problematic on many units. Not everyone cares about it -- but people who are blur-sensitive/artifact-sensitive, may wish to consider alternate options.

Also, you should test yourself for motion blur sensitivity. Try temporarily reducing refresh rate to 120Hz, then turn on motion blur reduction (strobing). Acer uses VRB (Visual Response Boost). It disable VRR but eliminates motion blur. Then look at www.testufo.com ...> Then try playing framerate=Hz in games using VSYNC ON, or a framerate cap, or RTSS Scanline Sync. See if your headaches goes away with framerate=Hz strobing.

As a rule of thumb, strobing tends to have less ghosting when you have lots of refresh rate headroom. So people with a motion blur nausea sensitivity or a gaming motion-sickness sensitivity, should test-out a strobeable 240Hz LCD panel and drive them at approximately 100-180Hz with strobing enabled, and tuned to the point where all double images completely disappear.

Give this a temporary test, to see if your headaches disappear.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

rafaelk007

Re: Gsync/Overdrive issue pls HELP!!!

Post by rafaelk007 » 29 Jun 2021, 20:27

Well, I tried to use it the way you said but I end up preferring 240hz anyway.

To my surprise, when testing on my friend's video card (GTX 1050ti) the artifacts don't happen with the overdrive turned on... But everything comes back when I use my GPU (RTX 3070) the artifacts happen :/

Anyway, at 240hz tearing isn't a big problem... in fact it's barely noticeable most of the time. I believe this might be a software/driver bug. For now I'll keep using the overdrive off/Gsync off and hope for acer or Nvidia to do something to some driver

Thanks for your help!!!