4K G-Sync inbound

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Vega

4K G-Sync inbound

Post by Vega » 22 May 2014, 13:25

2014-05-22
Acer Delivers World’s First 4k2k Display with NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology for Smoother and Responsive Gaming

TAIPEI, TAIWAN
Acer Delivers World’s First 4k2k Display with NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ Technology for Smoother and Responsive Gaming
Editor’s Summary:

New Acer XB280HK monitor offers 4k2k display with NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology for a vivid and responsive gaming experience
Eliminates screen tearing and minimizes stutter and input lag
Flicker-less, low dimming and ComfyView technologies help reduce strain on eyes for heavy users
28-inch display, part of the new XB0 line of gaming monitors
Acer announces the new Acer XB280HK gaming monitor as the world’s first 4k2k display featuring NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ technology to provide stunning, ultra-smooth, tear-free imagery and rich colors for outstanding gaming experiences. It features Acer’s flicker-less, low-dimming and ComfyView technologies that reduce strain on the eyes for smooth and comfortable extensive viewing.

Part of the new XB0 line of large gaming monitors, the Acer XB280HK is intended to be paired with enthusiast PCs for immersive, ultra high-end gaming. It features a spacious 28-inch LED backlit display with 4k2k Ultra HD (3840 x 2160 pixels) that’s four times the resolution of 1080p Full HD, and presents stunning high quality images for outstanding visual enjoyment.

With a GeForce® GTX™-powered PC, NVIDIA® G-SYNC™ display technology synchronizes the display’s refresh rates to the GPU to eliminate screen tearing and minimize display stutter and input lag to deliver smoother, faster, more breathtaking gaming experiences. Scenes appear instantly, objects look sharper and more vibrant, and gameplay is more fluid and responsive providing gamers with significant performance advantages.

The Acer XB280HK builds in several features that take into consideration prolonged usage by heavy users such as programmers, writers, and graphic designers:

Flicker-less technology – stable power supply eliminates screen flicker particularly beneficial for heavy users by helping to reduce eye strain.
Low dimming technology – adjust to as low as 15 percent brightness in low light environments to make it easy on the eyes. Standard monitor settings start at 30 percent brightness level.
ComfyView technology – the non-glare panel reduces reflection from light source.
The Acer XB280HK features 170/170 degree viewing angles so that brilliantly-colored images can be seen from almost every angle. DisplayPort™ v1.2 transmits video signals and four USB 3.0 ports are conveniently located at the side and bottom of the display for connecting to keyboard, mouse or mobile devices.

The Acer XB280HK monitor is made with post-consumer recycled plastic and features a distinctive red ring on the base stand. The multi-functional ErgoStand allows the screen to tilt from -5° to 35° to ensure the best viewing angle; the base rotates 120° from left or right for easy screen sharing; the panel height can be raised by up to 150 mm for optimum comfort; and the screen pivots from horizontal to vertical for more viewing perspectives.

This eco-friendly monitor features a mercury- and arsenic-free panel, LED backlighting for reduced power consumption, and is ENERGY STAR®(1) qualified.

The Acer XB280HK starts shipping in Q2 in Pan America, EMEA, Japan, and Taiwan.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: 4K G-Sync inbound

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 May 2014, 14:02

Now on Blur Busters:
http://www.blurbusters.com/4k-gsync-monitor-by-acer/

This monitor uses the same 4K panel as the Samsung UD590 (4K 60Hz).

Also, 4K 60Hz monitors will not include ULMB/LightBoost. The 4K panel itself is technically fast-responding enough (1ms) to be usefully strobed, however, NVIDIA does not currently plan support for 60Hz ULMB due to flicker.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

omgBlur

Post by omgBlur » 22 May 2014, 15:10

While 4K seems like a great hardware. I am sadden that it's runs at 60Hz. I'm sticking my guns with the PG278Q as I feel with my current hardware it will be able to handle 1440p @ >= 60Hz

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 22 May 2014, 16:25

/lipbite

1ms 4k with gsync... tempting

Gsync on a 4k is so right - noone is gonna get a min60 fps on that res with current hardware.
When i see these non gsync 1ms 4k panels floating around i think: "damn, another wasted panel". Cuz whats the point of a big beautiful monitor if you are dealing with the same stutter/lag/tearing bullshit as always.

Damn, nvidia (despite her immense greed) has earned my eternal, unquestionable love for actually pushing the entire industry to the correct path. Finally. After decades of getting used to crippled gaming.

Vega

Post by Vega » 22 May 2014, 20:27

Step in the right direction. Once we get DP 1.3 adopted and electronics fast enough for the job, this panel could be used for 4K @ 120Hz with strobing. That would take care of 2/3rds of the triad; resolution and motion clarity. Image quality would still be left on the table.

I fear we are still 3+ years away from the nirvana of 4K resolution, pulsed 120+ Hz refresh rate and good image quality. VA and IPS are too slow, so strobed OLED would be the only thing that could fit the bill in conjunction with DP 1.3.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 23 May 2014, 09:46

I have one silly question: Does current g-sync (on asus vg248qe) operate correctly at lower resolutions?
I hope g-sync will work correctly at any lower res at this Acer 4K display.

Q83Ia7ta

Post by Q83Ia7ta » 23 May 2014, 09:56

Vega wrote:VA and IPS are too slow, so strobed OLED would be the only thing that could fit the bill in conjunction with DP 1.3.
:(
http://asia.nikkei.com/magazine/2014052 ... m-OLED-TVs

RealNC
Site Admin

Post by RealNC » 23 May 2014, 16:28

Q83Ia7ta wrote:I have one silly question: Does current g-sync (on asus vg248qe) operate correctly at lower resolutions?
I hope g-sync will work correctly at any lower res at this Acer 4K display.
AFAIK, G-Sync is independent of resolution. Even if it isn't (which I doubt), GPU scaling drives the monitor at 1920x1080 anyway. However, if someone with a G-Sync monitor could verify this here, that would be awesome. Preferably by trying all three combinations ("no scaling", "display scaling" and "gpu scaling") while running a game at 1280x720 or such :-)
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

Vega

Post by Vega » 23 May 2014, 17:27

Q83Ia7ta wrote:
Vega wrote:VA and IPS are too slow, so strobed OLED would be the only thing that could fit the bill in conjunction with DP 1.3.
:(
http://asia.nikkei.com/magazine/2014052 ... m-OLED-TVs
A huge shame, because TN panels that can have great strobed backlight motion clarity will always have woeful image quality.

Reference to this quote: "With the improved picture quality of LCD TVs and drops in their prices, OLED TVs no longer have any advantage," said Hisakazu Torii, a Japan-based vice president at the U.S. market research company.

Except, "improved image quality" of LCD's is in areas of poor motion clarity versions of LCD technology.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 May 2014, 18:52

Said the user with three Eizo FG2421 monitors. You still love them very much, don't you? ;)
Those are strobed VA panels.

The good news is that the Oculus DK2 OLED is fully LightBoost-clarity but without the color problems. So, rolling-scan low-persistence OLEDs already exist now -- just not yet in 24" desktop format. I have faith low-persistence blur-eliminating gaming OLED monitors will be coming -- within 2 to 5 years. Some of us would pay $1000 for one, to get the CRT-clarity with the CRT-colors experience, avoiding the bad colors of LCD. Due to initial technological limitations of light output of OLED, we might not get much brightness yet (will still lose a bit of light output, like LightBoost) in the first models, but that is OK, as long as brighter than LightBoost. 2ms persistence is perfectly doable with a rolling-scan OLED, and it is possible to do so with absolutely no input lag disadvantage over non-strobe mode by scanning in realtime like a CRT. The production rolling-scan OLEDs. The DK2, according to them, uses an existing smartphone OLEDs adapted with a custom driver that does a rolling scan that lowers persistence to ~2ms. Rolling scans are also found in the Sony PVM OLED professional studio displays (several thousand dollars). The one in the DK2 is the most CRT-like of flat panels I've ever seen. Definitely beats clarity of LightBoost 100% while having good colors in comparison. The chief concern is light output and long-term burn in, so I'm hoping that will be solved eventually, and scaled up to 24" size, using RGB subpixels.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!