4K G-Sync inbound

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Vega

Re: 4K G-Sync inbound

Post by Vega » 24 May 2014, 22:54

I just bought the Samsung 590D that uses the same panel as the forthcoming Acer, and am pleasantly surprised. Really, my PC has zero issues running all games at 60+ FPS and never dropping below that so I don't run into stutter issues etc (single 780Ti @ 1424 MHz). In that regard, G-Sync really would have no benefit to me. I guess the only thing it may do is lower input lag a tad, but since I set my FPS max to 59 and use V-Sync (most modern games use triple buffering to boot), there is not much lag to begin with. With that method I also get no screen tearing.

Anyone know of a G-Sync benefit that I am not considering?

mello

Post by mello » 25 May 2014, 05:31

Vega wrote:Anyone know of a G-Sync benefit that I am not considering?
From what i have read about G-Sync, it works better than V-Sync, even at the same settings and circumstances. Meaning even smoother gameplay, which would be no surprise to me, because G-Sync is a hardware solution. So, yes, G-Sync would be beneficial to you, even if you are currently using V-Sync and 59 fps cap.

Vega

Post by Vega » 25 May 2014, 11:23

I'd definitely agree G-Sync would be a huge boon if your FPS ever drops from 60. But if you have a powerful computer and it never dips below 60 and already feels smooth with no stutter, I highly doubt G-Sync will be much assistance. V-Sync is already locking HZ to FPS, so in theory for smoothness G-Sync has nothing to do if FPS stays 60+ at all times. The only thing it could do is help input lag, but once again there are ways to get around 90% of the input lag.

mello

Post by mello » 25 May 2014, 12:36

Haven't used G-Sync yet (still waiting for PG278Q to be released) but i have read a lot of opinions and reviews. It might be a placebo but i heard people claming that G-Sync works better than V-Sync, even at constant and high FPS (130fps for example) and that it doesn't feel anything like V-Sync, even if you have no FPS drops. As i said, G-Sync is a hardware solution and it replaces scaler ASIC, so the GPU can take control of monitor’s refresh rate, so in the end it is not out of realm of possibility that G-Sync might be a slight improvement even in your case.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 May 2014, 12:48

mello wrote:It might be a placebo
Certainly isn't a placebo. Different people have different sensitivites to stutters/tearing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!