Monitor Recommendations for Native G-Sync, 1440p and a GTX 970

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
BlackGuyRX

Monitor Recommendations for Native G-Sync, 1440p and a GTX 970

Post by BlackGuyRX » 08 Jul 2021, 22:41

So after finally getting a beefy new PC built about a month ago, I've been mostly enjoying myself but I still hope to get my old monitor replaced as well. It's a AOC G2460PC 1st gen G-Sync monitor, I've had it for almost 4 years and it's kinda in rough shape with what looks like burn-in(?) some light scratches and other weird defects. It's also DisplayPort-only so I can't enjoy having any consoles plugged into it.

I've wanted to move onto a new monitor for a while and while I have an idea on what I want to go with, I'm still fishing for recommendations. I was gonna upgrade my card first so I can also have more options for VRR support but due to obvious circumstances, I don't feel like overpaying or fighting to get a hold of limited stock who's prices have jumped dramatically. I think I'll wait until the end of the year before I bother with that...

Instead, I'm upgrading to a 1440p monitor with the intention to just emulate games and play older ones and taking advantage of shaders better suited for that resolution. I know my current card may not be optimal for 1440p (GTX 970) but I'm gonna be playing old games almost exclusively anyway, I don't mind being locked in 1080p for anything more recent anyway if it helps with performance.

https://eve.community/t/eve-4k144-spect ... crt-motion

I've been following the development of this monitor on and off for a while. Seeing Chief Blur Buster give it near glowing praise for it's use for Mame and RetroArch has me even more convinced, and while it looks like it's just right for my needs, I honestly feel more comfortable with a native G-Sync module and from what understand, my card isn't sufficient enough to be accepted by G-Sync Compatible monitors, I think only models with hardware modules will even take something as old as a GTX 970 anyway.

I'm currently deciding between the Alienware AW2721D and the ViewSonic Elite XG270QG, they seem to be the only monitors that tick off the most boxes for me, everything else is mostly Freesync and or G-Sync Compatible, I can't use either of those two right now.