Gsync - increased speed in games - Vision

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
jesuadr

Gsync - increased speed in games - Vision

Post by jesuadr » 18 Jul 2021, 01:36

Many years ago I had a 60hz monitor with a beautiful image and I never had any problems with my vision (ASUS PB278Q).

Then I bought the ASUS PG279Q and my odyssey began. Since then I have used gsync and in recent years I have visited several eye doctors for losing sharpness in my vision, believing it was due to another cause (they diagnosed me with dry eye). On the other hand, I could never achieve a beautiful image like on my previous monitor.

I have some questions, if anyone notices something similar to what I notice:

1) The GENERAL speed of the game increases considerably when Gsync is activated causing discomfort to vision (Example: PES2021, FH4, due to the focus and blur of our eyes to VERY VERY fast movements). Fixed frequency does not produce this (games become playable).
2) The monitor image is corrected or improved with the fixed frequency (it looks less blurry and the gamma seems to be corrected

* MY CONCLUSION: Beyond the benefits that we all know of the GSYNC, I think that if you are not a competitive gamer and have enough gpu to keep the frequency fixed and the vsync activated within the game, the fixed frequency is much better by far.

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: Gsync - increased speed in games - Vision

Post by RealNC » 19 Jul 2021, 05:58

I have never noticed any of these effects. And game speed being affected by VRR is something I've never even heard of, let alone experience myself. The only way this could ever happen is if the game speed is tied to frame rate. Games like that though will always have a build-in 60FPS cap.
SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jesuadr

Post by jesuadr » 21 Aug 2021, 19:10

RealNC wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 05:58
I have never noticed any of these effects. And game speed being affected by VRR is something I've never even heard of, let alone experience myself. The only way this could ever happen is if the game speed is tied to frame rate. Games like that though will always have a build-in 60FPS cap.
1) I have confirmed it. If you use gsync letting the 3d application decide from the nvidia control panel + vsync within the game, the games have a "NORMAL SPEED" that does not damage the view.

2) It becomes fast the general speed of the game and the camera changes when; from the nvidia control panel, in the 3d application configuration we select:
GSYNC
Vsync: Enabled
Preferred update frequency: highest available.
In-game: Vsync OFF

Obviously in the second option the input lag is reduced, but with the effects for vision described above.

TTT

Post by TTT » 28 Aug 2021, 09:06

jesuadr wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 19:10
RealNC wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 05:58
1) I have confirmed it. If you use gsync letting the 3d application decide from the nvidia control panel + vsync within the game, the games have a "NORMAL SPEED" that does not damage the view.

2) It becomes fast the general speed of the game and the camera changes when; from the nvidia control panel, in the 3d application configuration we select:
GSYNC
Vsync: Enabled
Preferred update frequency: highest available.
In-game: Vsync OFF

Obviously in the second option the input lag is reduced, but with the effects for vision described above.
Them 2 settings are the same, you are just using Ingame Vsync in one and NCP Vsync in the other, they are the same thing.

Having Gsync on does alter how the game looks because it creates more clarity in movement. But all panels are different and it also depends on what overdrive setting you are using, it can cause more artifacts or motion blur.

The game isn't being affected by your screen, your perception of the game is.

Try out a different Gsync panel?

jesuadr

Post by jesuadr » 21 Sep 2021, 00:37

They would not seem to be the same and I think it is due to the transition of the overdrive of the pixels that the gsync produces due to the different frequencies. At least in terms of eye vision, matching the fps to the fixed frequency without using gsync is the best, but we already know the disadvantages.