News on the ROG Swift (PG278Q)

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
weapon

Re: News on the ROG Swift (PG278Q)

Post by weapon » 16 Dec 2014, 17:43

jamesmay wrote:
Anarkin wrote:I think G-Sync isn't working right on my ROG. Games are stuttering. I tested it with Settlers 2 - 10th Anniversary and there are minor but noticeable stutters. In Divinity: Original Sin it's really noticeable. It stutters so much, it's pretty much unplayable. Games run the same without G-Sync, there's no difference. What's also strange is, that with G-Sync enabled, games never run with 144 fps. Half-Life 2 runs at 141 max when set to 144Hz or 119, when set to 120Hz. If disabled, it runs with 144 fps. I had the same monitor a couple of months ago and I could swear it wasn't like that.
Gsync caps framerate below refresh.
Google it.
This doesn't sound right. I found a few articles but nothing notable. The whole intention of G-Sync is to not cap framerate, so hearing that it does is simply perplexing.

By chance is jamesmay not forcing G-Sync on in the NVIDIA CP? Can jamesmay confirm in fact that the Red LED light is on the monitor, confirming G-Sync is working?

There are stuttering issues with certain games that G-Sync cannot help. Watch Dogs for example, and many Ubisoft games, have a noticeable stutter with the way they stream texture data. This kind of stutter can not be helped, and in some cases, this may be what the Google results boil down to as well.

If there is some hard fact that G-Sync is "cappping" framerates, I would really love to see it.

QuantumPion

Post by QuantumPion » 17 Dec 2014, 23:16

Does anyone else's Swift have a really low gamma out of the box? Mine is like 1.6-1.7ish. I can use the nvidia control panel to adjust the gamma back, but this seems to introduce color banding. Is my Swift defective? Or is this the way it is supposed to be? 1.7 seems to be really high by default and makes everything look washed out and crappy.

Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne » 18 Dec 2014, 01:47

There is a way to enter the service menu (which after is unlocked, is entered by pressing the X thing under the joystick, but only if the screen cycles in its burn-in test ,when its in standby, apparently that's because the burn-in menu was unlocked).

No idea what the key combination to unlock it is. and apparently--no one else knows it, either. I posted a screenshot on overclock.net showing the service menu (but it only had three options and I don't think gamma was one of them)

Sorry if I can't help.

fury

Post by fury » 26 Jan 2015, 21:01

This monitor is my first >60hz experience since my last CRT monitor (a 19" KDS monitor - could do 150hz at 640x480, or 60hz at 2048x1536 :P)

I am coming from using my 2010 iMac 27" as my primary monitor (it has a miniDP input). Given that the iMac is IPS and the ROG Swift is TN, I knew going in that the viewing angles weren't going to be as good.

Other than that, it's quite the refreshing experience. Forgive me, I had to. :mrgreen:

I've settled into 120hz with ULMB on for the most part, since I like the lack of motion blur better than a few extra refreshes per second. It's like looking at real life, man.

I haven't tried Gsync yet since it can't be done in conjunction with ULMB. I'm playing Far Cry 4, and so far, my poor GTX 980 hasn't been able to hit 120 fps to take advantage of this thing. So, I may try Gsync out on it. Or I might have to win the lottery and get another GTX 980. Or both.

Zenairis

Post by Zenairis » 27 Jan 2015, 00:22

I am getting my next swift tomorrow I had to RMA my first the inversion was pretty bad during ULMB but, other than that I loved the monitor it was beautiful. I still don't know how the XB270HU will hold up being only 4 MS for it's GTG speed that and it's not a true IPS panel. AHVA is a lot like a IPS but not the same from my understanding.

fury

Post by fury » 27 Jan 2015, 11:02

How can I tell what the testufo tests are supposed to look like on a good monitor? On the inversion test I get some pink and green tinting, and on the ghosting test I see some faint impressions of the UFO trailing behind it (same effect on some of the moving photo tests). Other than that it all looks good.

Zenairis

Post by Zenairis » 29 Jan 2015, 11:55

I received my 3rd PG278Q it has a few spots on it where the panel has two whitish glow spots on the screen. Hopefully I can get a normal panel soon.

LocutusEstBorg

Post by LocutusEstBorg » 25 Mar 2015, 07:31

QuantumPion wrote:Does anyone else's Swift have a really low gamma out of the box? Mine is like 1.6-1.7ish. I can use the nvidia control panel to adjust the gamma back, but this seems to introduce color banding. Is my Swift defective? Or is this the way it is supposed to be? 1.7 seems to be really high by default and makes everything look washed out and crappy.
Same here. It appears to be very low. I'm using this with a MacBook. Even after calibration with a Spyder3, it's unable to correct the gamma.