stuttering caused by GSYNC

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
FlavioPlaza

stuttering caused by GSYNC

Post by FlavioPlaza » 11 Oct 2021, 18:13

Sorry for English, it's not my primary language...

I've been suffering from stutterings for some time now, and I've tried many solutions to try to alleviate it, after all, I have a good computer, with SSD as storage, so I didn't want to have any problems.

But what exactly happens? The most obvious problems happen in 5 games (resident evil 3 remake, resident evil village, red dead redemption, fortnite and horizon zero dawn), and it is a stuttering that occurs in a "random" way. At first, I thought it was some optimization issue caused by slow loading textures or something like that, because there's no right time to happen, stuttering just pops up, and spoils the immersion

After tens (hundreds?) of tests, I found that disabling GSYNC solved all my problem. To be sure, I tried to simulate scenarios that I was sure were a problem and found that the problem was actually in GSYNC.

Now I don't know if this is a driver issue (I haven't tested other drivers because I'm lazy) or something related to my monitor that causes this issue, but it's pretty weird.

Has anyone else noticed something like this? I have a GTX 1070

I will do more tests to find the source of the problem (driver or monitor)

RealNC
Site Admin

Re: stuttering caused by GSYNC

Post by RealNC » 11 Oct 2021, 18:31

SteamGitHubStack Overflow
The views and opinions expressed in my posts are my own and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Blur Busters.

jorimt

Re: stuttering caused by GSYNC

Post by jorimt » 11 Oct 2021, 22:54

FlavioPlaza wrote:
11 Oct 2021, 18:13
After tens (hundreds?) of tests, I found that disabling GSYNC solved all my problem. To be sure, I tried to simulate scenarios that I was sure were a problem and found that the problem was actually in GSYNC.
I don't know enough about your particular setup to say for certain whether "G-SYNC" is the root problem in your case, but G-SYNC has a very slight "re-initialization" period when the framerate abruptly drops to 0 and back during frametime spikes (technically because the spike may happen in the early part or the middle of a scanout, so it has to wait until the next cycle to start scanning in the next frame as to fully prevent tearing), so this can be more noticeable on systems and/or games that are more prone to these spikes.

That said, while G-SYNC can slightly increase the length of recovery from frametime spikes in some (but not all) instances, you'll get stutter in the aforementioned instances whether you use it, standalone V-SYNC, or no sync.

So basically, you have a choice of slightly longer stutter without tearing (G-SYNC + V-SYNC), or a slightly shorter stutter with tearing (G-SYNC off + V-SYNC off or no sync). Pick your poison; frametime spikes suck regardless of what you use.

Anyway, if it's not frametime spikes you're experiencing, then it could also be a faulty monitor or a system configuration issue. Hard to say with such little information.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)