Does G-Sync not work with Valorant?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
b2rdeez

Does G-Sync not work with Valorant?

Post by b2rdeez » 21 Nov 2021, 04:24

I have the LG 27GL850 and would like to play Valorant with G-Sync. For some reason G-Sync just does not work on Valorant. The G-Sync indicator does not show up in game and when I cap my fps to 60, my monitor refresh rate stays at 144 (checked through the osd). It works for other games. Like in CSGO and Apex Legends, the G-Sync indicator shows up and when I cap my fps to 60, the refresh rate also changes to 60. Does anyone have a fix for this? I really can't stand tearing and microstutter in Valorant. I'd rather play 141fps with G-Sync than play 500fps with tearing + microstutter.

b2rdeez

Re: Does G-Sync not work with Valorant?

Post by b2rdeez » 22 Nov 2021, 03:04

I got it to work. It seems like the Nvidia control panel is a little buggy. It isn't enough to just have G-sync enabled from the global settings. You gotta do it for individual game as well. For example on a specific game setting like Valorant, you have to make sure the Monitor Technology setting is set to G-Sync Compatible with the words bolded. Weird but this fixes it.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Does G-Sync not work with Valorant?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 23 Nov 2021, 18:10

Most fluid stutter-free G-SYNC behavior occurs with:

NVCP G-SYNC = ON
NVCP VSYNC = ON
In-Game VSYNC = OFF
In-Game Framerate Cap = 3fps below Hz

If you want lower-lag behavior, you can use NVCP VSYNC OFF and remove your in-game frame rate cap, but if you care about motion fluidity, you want to use an in-game framerate cap while also using NVCP VSYNC ON simultaneously with in-game VSYNC OFF.

That being said, you will hear other players recommend against GSYNC for esports due to one factor or another. However, it can be used judiciously, with the right game settings. Generally, esports-friendly GSYNC requires a VRR range bigger than framerate range. If your framerate fluctuates 100-200fps, then you want a 240Hz panel to avoid the loss of framerate caused by capping. VRR ranges bigger than framerate ranges also virtually eliminates the latency penalty of GSYNC too.

For better GSYNC performance with gaming mice, you will also want to make sure your mouse Hz is high (1000Hz or 2000Hz), preferably high-DPI low-sensitivity (Valorant performs well with high-DPI low-sens operations).

Your mileage will vary, the right settings for the right job -- these may not be the best. They're just the most fluid (least stutters).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors