Is it possible to 'force' G Sync to a window?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
xreyuk

Is it possible to 'force' G Sync to a window?

Post by xreyuk » 10 Jan 2022, 14:34

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for the extensive G Sync information on the site, it's really helped with getting my system setup!

I'm using an RTX3070 on an LG CX Oled.

So, to my 'problem'. I play iRacing, and it's quite common to use an overlay for more information whilst you race. For the overlays to work you have to run iRacing in windowed mode, and the overlay starts itself and acts like an 'always on top' window. I have G Sync configured globally to Full Screen but used NVInspector to set iRacing to Full Screen and Windowed.

When playing with the overlay enabled, G Sync doesn't follow the FPS of the game, it just stays at a solid 120hz. As soon as I disable the overlay, G Sync starts working as expected for iRacing in windowed mode. I suspect G Sync doesn't work because it sees the overlay as the 'active window' and tracks to the refresh rate of that, which is obviously my desktop refresh rate.

I suspect there isn't, and I know it's a long shot but is there anyway I can make iRacing the active window whilst still displaying the overlay, or trick G Sync into believing iRacing is the active window?

For reference I am using the RaceLabs overlay, but they all operate the same way regardless of program. They can't run in full screen because iRacing detects it as an injection into the D3D program and the anticheat stops you playing.

Ianrivaldosmith

Re: Is it possible to 'force' G Sync to a window?

Post by Ianrivaldosmith » 25 Oct 2022, 18:05

Is it DX12 game? I believe DX12 fixes this type of issue?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 25 Oct 2022, 19:47

xreyuk wrote:
10 Jan 2022, 14:34
I suspect G Sync doesn't work because it sees the overlay as the 'active window' and tracks to the refresh rate of that, which is obviously my desktop refresh rate.
The app window G-SYNC is active on must be focused for it to engage properly in borderless/windowed mode, so yes, if the overlay is set to always on top and is focused instead of the game window, I don't see any straightforward workarounds, unless the game window can be focused while the overlay window is still on top.

I haven't played iRacing, let alone used one of those overlays with it, so I can't really speak on it further than that.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Oct 2022, 18:55

The overlay software developer needs to fix the overlay software to be G-SYNC compatible.

RTSS is a G-SYNC compatible overlay, so theoretically it is possible if the software developer of the overlay fixes it to be G-SYNC compatible.

Also, RTSS plugins can be developed. Is it possible to use the overlay via another software package such as RTSS?
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Kyouki

Post by Kyouki » 27 Oct 2022, 01:47

[for applications not behaving, I don't know if this applies to overlay]
I believe this can be achieved with Special K, I've done this to enforce FFXIV's window to go into Gsync mode found here:
https://old.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments ... c/hitjdt8/

Found more details here on how to properly use it:
https://wiki.special-k.info/en/SwapChain

Sidenote it could also work if you start the overlay after the game has launched if there is a possibility, likely what Chief stated above is the reason why it isn't working as intended. I did found randomly that I got it to fix when I started the overlay type software later instead of directly upon start when it engages and gives all the swapchain details to the system to work with.

This is also often why lots of overlays have delay's or the capability to inject later then intended.
CPU: AMD R7 5800x3D ~ PBO2Tuner -30 ~ no C states
RAM: Gskill Bdie 2x16gb TridentZ Neo ~ CL16-16-16-36 1T ~ fine tuned latency
GPU: ASUS TUF 3080 10G OC Edition(v1/non-LHR) ~ disabled Pstates ~ max oced
Monitor: Alienware AW2521H ~ mix of ULMB/Gsync @ 240hz/360hz
More specs: https://kit.co/Kyouki/the-pc-that-stomps-you

matrox-40

Post by matrox-40 » 13 Oct 2023, 06:55

Hello xreyuk ! long time since you posted, have you found some method to keep g-sync "attached" to game window ?