Need help and understand G-Sync for SFV

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Bubu

Re: Need help and understand G-Sync for SFV

Post by Bubu » 04 Feb 2022, 09:54

Ok thanks for the clarification and this thread would be helpful for fighting game players since there are more and more fighting games on PC. Fighting games are originally meant to be played on console/arcade.
There are still debate whether fighting games should allow to use vsync/g-sync, thus decreasing input lag
These games are based on local tournaments which both player should have equal condition/environment/settings (since its offline there is no addition input lag caused by online netcode)
SFV is one of few fighting games crossplay, that means PS4/PS5 players and PC players can face to each other. I believe Capcom removed G-Sync and enabled V-Sync ON by purpose BUT its already uneven since PC version has lower input lag.
Its still debate on this community, console players think its unfair.
Honestly i dont know, is considered as ''cheating'' if i can have faster/ more powerful hardware/monitor and use it as advantage?
Anyway, on PC, anything is uneven, even on console, if you have sightly faster connection, or ''better'' input device, its considered as uneven.

So, i m going to use G-Sync+V-Sync OFF in order to have a tear free experience and lowest input lag.

[*] G-Sync ON
[*] V-Sync OFF
[*] LLM disabled (as you said, it wont probably affect this game)
[*] Internal 60 fps limit (do not need to use any external fps limiter)
[*] Refresh rate: Highest available (in my case its on 165 hz)

That's right?

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 04 Feb 2022, 10:35

Bubu wrote:
04 Feb 2022, 09:54
So, i m going to use G-Sync+V-Sync OFF in order to have a tear free experience and lowest input lag.
As I've already explained, G-SYNC on + V-SYNC on is a 100% tear-free experience, whereas G-SYNC on + V-SYNC off can still tear, even inside the G-SYNC range, since in this scenario the V-SYNC "option" is no longer standard V-SYNC, but an original tearing prevention component of G-SYNC.

It's the labeling in the control panel that has thrown everyone off since the beginning; originally, the current G-SYNC + V-SYNC combo was bundled into a non-optional G-SYNC "on," but shortly after release, Nvidia exposed the option to enable/disable G-SYNC's strict adherence to the VBLANK, but since standard V-SYNC also adheres to the VBLANK, the easiest thing to do was to use the existing NVCP V-SYNC (and/or in-game) on/off toggle to control this, and so here we are where everyone still thinks V-SYNC means "V-SYNC" when used with G-SYNC.

But it only does when the framerate is above the refresh rate; V-SYNC = G-SYNC within the refresh rate. Again, when you disable the V-SYNC option with G-SYNC enabled, it's actually removing G-SYNC functionality.

So if you never want to see tearing at 60 FPS 165Hz with G-SYNC engaged, keep V-SYNC enabled in-game.

I simply didn't force that recommendation on you initially, because I personally don't care what anyone uses so long as it aligns with their preference, but if they read my article, or ask me outright, G-SYNC + V-SYNC is what I'll recommend, since that's the originally intended tear-free configuration.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

roro13200

Post by roro13200 » 07 Feb 2022, 11:50

personally I have a problem with gsync and this game.

at times it works very well, and at times I have the impression that my game is accelerating, it's a very weird feeling.

visually the game is very fluid with gsync, the image is beautiful, but the input lag is variable, as I said at times it's good, and suddenly like the impression that my game is accelerating.

i still wonder why capcom removed gsync for sf5

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 07 Feb 2022, 14:16

roro13200 wrote:
07 Feb 2022, 11:50
visually the game is very fluid with gsync, the image is beautiful, but the input lag is variable, as I said at times it's good, and suddenly like the impression that my game is accelerating.
It's possible game logic is tied to framerate in SFV, which would literally create a slow-mo or fast-forward effect whenever the framerate is above or below the target 60, even if for a moment, but I haven't tested the game enough to confirm such a thing.

That could be one of many reasons they disabled G-SYNC support at default for this game, but it's difficult to determine without asking the devs directly.

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)

Bubu

Post by Bubu » 08 Feb 2022, 14:20

Some people claim its not strictly locked at 60 frames per second
Maybe there are some tiny variance.
Maybe online netcode have something related with?
Because we (pc players) have high refresh rate monitor, multiple way of sync (vsync on, off, g-sync), lower input lag than console players?!
So what is rollback netcode? A lot of people can probably explain it with more depth and detail than I can, and while I’ll link to their expertise, I’ll do my best to summarize it for you here. Modern fighting games generally have two types of netcode solutions- two different ways they handle players connecting to each other to play the game together. The first type is delay-based netcode, and the second type is rollback netcode.

In delay-based netcode, the game measures your ping to the other player. (Your ping is the round-trip time for data sent from your machine to reach another machine and come back to you. In a peer-to-peer connection, the other machine is your opponent; in a shooter game, the other machine is the server you’re connected to. Fighting games usually use peer-to-peer connections even when matchmaking lobbies are involved.) Once it has your ping established, it decides how long that time is measured in frames, and will then delay your inputs by that amount of frames during play. For instance, if your ping is 100ms, that means it takes roughly 50ms for your inputs to be received by your peer, and since it takes 50ms for the game to render three frames (one frame being 1/60th of a second, or 16.67ms,) your input delay will be set to a value of 3. This means that ideally, when you press your jab button, it will take an additional three frames before you see that jab animation begin to play on the screen.

jorimt

Post by jorimt » 13 Feb 2022, 10:53

Bubu wrote:
08 Feb 2022, 14:20
Maybe online netcode have something related with?
Netcode can absolutely be a factor in this or any other online game.