So I have made my decision. Wait for IPS overclockable Gsync

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Edmond

Re: So I have made my decision. Wait for IPS overclockable G

Post by Edmond » 10 Jun 2014, 07:02

omgBlur wrote: So the "holy grail" of sacred monitors seems to be (I could also be missing stuff so feel free to add your own details as this is a generalization from most of the comments)

• 1440p
• G-Sync/FreeSync
• IPS
• 21:9
• 144Hz
• Fast 1ms Response
• Strobing/Lightboost
I would say the best in slot monitor is:
• Oled (so the response times for all color shifts are equal to 0.01ms; also IPS cant do high HZ properly)
• 1440p
• flicker free 240hz
(Easy for Oled, also now you can have low montion blur with variable refresh rates and no flicker/strobing. Yes, not as good as CRT/lightboost@blur, but pretty damn close. And i would not abandon variable refresh rates to have a minor improvement in motion blur over nonstrobed 240hz)
• And obviously gsync

All of this is possible on a single cable of DP1.3 bandwidth, and even some overhead is left.

Wish someone started a kickstarter for something like that,... asuming there would be the demand beforehand, ...some non-existant off the shelf parts would be available or made, ...and Sony`s fab agreed to cut lower pixel density oleds than they have been making so far. Oh and asuming this monitor wouldnt cost a kidney for the end user.

Tho the asus pg278q is comming up soon... so thats prob the best thing we are actually going to have for a while.
And, honestly, its a big step, considering how trash everything else that we have had so far will look compared to it. So, at least we are getting some meaningful fucking progress with monitors, regardless what shortcomings it has.

Some of us will probably still keep waiting for IPS`s with gsync.

Sparky

Re: So I have made my decision. Wait for IPS overclockable G

Post by Sparky » 13 Jun 2014, 14:41

omgBlur wrote:
So the "holy grail" of sacred monitors seems to be (I could also be missing stuff so feel free to add your own details as this is a generalization from most of the comments)

• 1440p
• G-Sync/FreeSync
• IPS
• 144Hz
• Fast 1ms Response
• Strobing/Lightboost
I don't think IPS will ever be fast enough to be the "holy grail". QD-LED maybe. OLED maybe. LEDs can go far above 144hz as well, so if you got your framerate high enough, you could potentially do low persistence without flicker.