G-Sync with frame limiter?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Mindinfinity

G-Sync with frame limiter?

Post by Mindinfinity » 24 Feb 2022, 00:03

Hopefully this is not a repeat question...

I have a 120hz G-sync display with Vsync "ON" and wanted to know which of the following combinations works best for Single Player games where I prefer mostly higher graphics over FPS:

1) G-Sync + VSync + ULLM "OFF"
2) G-Sync + VSync + ULLM "ON"
3) G-Sync + VSync + ULLM "Ultra"

Also should I use a 'frame limiter' with any of the above options? If so would the setting "Max Frame Rate" to "117" in Nvidia Control Panel be sufficient or would I be better off with a 3rd party application?

jorimt

Re: G-Sync with frame limiter?

Post by jorimt » 25 Feb 2022, 09:06

Mindinfinity wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 00:03
Hopefully this is not a repeat question...

I have a 120hz G-sync display with Vsync "ON" and wanted to know which of the following combinations works best for Single Player games where I prefer mostly higher graphics over FPS:

1) G-Sync + VSync + ULLM "OFF"
2) G-Sync + VSync + ULLM "ON"
3) G-Sync + VSync + ULLM "Ultra"

Also should I use a 'frame limiter' with any of the above options? If so would the setting "Max Frame Rate" to "117" in Nvidia Control Panel be sufficient or would I be better off with a 3rd party application?
While it is certainly a repeat question (users ask about what LLM setting to use in combo with G-SYNC all the time), the LLM use-case is relatively simple...

If your GPU usage is maxed most or all of the time in the given game, and the game supports LLM override of the render queue (some don't, and DX12/Vulkan don't at all) it will typically reduce render queue latency (unrelated to G-SYNC operation) by 1 to 1/12 frame whenever the GPU usage is 99%+.

If your GPU usage isn't maxed most or all of the time in the given game, and your system is capable of maintaining you're framerate at your set FPS limit, LLM won't reduce latency further, and is thus entirely option.
Mindinfinity wrote:
24 Feb 2022, 00:03
If your framerate can exceed the refresh rate, you must always set a minimum -3 FPS limit to keep G-SYNC in range.

In-game limiters are typically lower latency (usually 1/2 to 1 frame) vs. external limiters such as Max Frame Rate and RTSS, but they also have less steady frametime performance (which isn't directly related to keeping G-SYNC in range).

Use the limiting method you prefer, just ensure it is at least 3 frame below your currently set refresh rate.

Also, if you want more consistency, you can always limit at an even lower average that your system can sustain the majority of the time in the given game. This will also eliminate additional render queue latency, assuming the set limit prevents max GPU usage as well.
(jorimt: /jor-uhm-tee/)
Author: Blur Busters "G-SYNC 101" Series

Displays: ASUS PG27AQN, LG 48CX VR: Beyond, Quest 3, Reverb G2, Index OS: Windows 11 Pro Case: Fractal Design Torrent PSU: Seasonic PRIME TX-1000 MB: ASUS Z790 Hero CPU: Intel i9-13900k w/Noctua NH-U12A GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 4090 GAMING OC RAM: 32GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 DDR5 6400MHz CL32 SSDs: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 (OS), 4TB WD_BLACK SN850X (Games) Keyboards: Wooting 60HE, Logitech G915 TKL Mice: Razer Viper Mini SE, Razer Viper 8kHz Sound: Creative Sound Blaster Katana V2 (speakers/amp/DAC), AFUL Performer 8 (IEMs)