Any rumors/news on that Tempest x270oc with gsync?

Talk about NVIDIA G-SYNC, a variable refresh rate (VRR) technology. G-SYNC eliminates stutters, tearing, and reduces input lag. List of G-SYNC Monitors.
Edmond

Any rumors/news on that Tempest x270oc with gsync?

Post by Edmond » 14 Jun 2014, 06:24

Last time i checked overlord forums Scribby had said that he is still in queue for gsync from nvidia.
That was a few months ago, when gsync was out of stock for months.

Now, the gsync kits are being sold all over again, including the pre-moded 1080p gsync TN screen from overlord themselves.
Yet, i have not seen any new info on the Tempest x270oc which was a 2560x1440 overclockable IPS screen that was said to get modded with a hacked gsync board.

Cuz, if the innards of this one would be sold seperately or the moded Tempest would be available at not too ridiculous of a price i would get it in a heartbeat - gut it - and stick its dripping innards in a 2560x1080 ips monitor.

If i had any info that the standard gsync kit from nvidia would somehow work with a 21:9 1080p monitor i would buy that DIY kit instantly. But i cant seem to find any place where people who have experimented with these share their xp.

Turboman750

Re: Any rumors/news on that Tempest x270oc with gsync?

Post by Turboman750 » 16 Jun 2014, 18:57

this needs to happen. Is it possible to hack a gsync chip into an overclocked IPS? or is the 5-8 ms response time too slow for the kit? is 1ms required for gsync to work?

Black Octagon

Post by Black Octagon » 17 Jun 2014, 01:45

My understanding is that NV needs to design the G-Sync boards for each monitor model. What's in one G-Sync ready ASUS screen may not work in the next one, and is even less likely to work in a screen from another manufacturer, even if this screen is technically compatible with G-Sync technology. Hence the queue. NV is starting with ASUS and then branching out to other manufacturers. Precisely when they'll get to Scribby is unclear. Scribby himself will inform us (via his own boards, most likely) as soon as he knows

Sent from dumbphone (pls excuse typos and dumbness)

omgBlur

Post by omgBlur » 17 Jun 2014, 11:49

Black Octagon wrote:My understanding is that NV needs to design the G-Sync boards for each monitor model. What's in one G-Sync ready ASUS screen may not work in the next one, and is even less likely to work in a screen from another manufacturer
This ^

There has been discussion about hacking/heavy modding the DIY kit for the VG278QE onto other monitors, but due to the risk and complexity, no one has attempted it yet.

IPS and G-Sync won't be seen for quite sometime as IPS technology has to catch up on the speed/technology that TN panels offer for strobing AND response time (1ms gtg) that is "unofficially" required for G-Sync.

Acer did announce a 60Hz 4k screen with G-Sync so that gives hope that a company may develop a 60Hz IPS screen with G-Sync, over an IPS screen that does 1440p and 144Hz w G-Sync, but that's just my 2 cents.

Edmond

Post by Edmond » 17 Jun 2014, 15:35

omgBlur wrote:
Black Octagon wrote:My understanding is that NV needs to design the G-Sync boards for each monitor model. What's in one G-Sync ready ASUS screen may not work in the next one, and is even less likely to work in a screen from another manufacturer
This ^

There has been discussion about hacking/heavy modding the DIY kit for the VG278QE onto other monitors, but due to the risk and complexity, no one has attempted it yet.

IPS and G-Sync won't be seen for quite sometime as IPS technology has to catch up on the speed/technology that TN panels offer for strobing AND response time (1ms gtg) that is "unofficially" required for G-Sync.

Acer did announce a 60Hz 4k screen with G-Sync so that gives hope that a company may develop a 60Hz IPS screen with G-Sync, over an IPS screen that does 1440p and 144Hz w G-Sync, but that's just my 2 cents.
I got JJ from Asus to say that there are no technical limitations to make an ips gsync screen. But it could have been the usual marketing bullshit talk - i feel hate now.

Amd showed a freesync ips monitor @ computex.

Either way, i dont need 120 or 240hz, i want gsync/freesync. Which ever comes first to widescreen ips.

Also, we will never see LEGIT 120hz ips screens. If you want a proper screen which is also 60+hz,... gonna have to wait for oled.