Lost sharpness/contast/picture quality on after bad reboot

Everything about displays and monitors. 120Hz, 144Hz, 240Hz, 4K, 1440p, input lag, display shopping, monitor purchase decisions, compare, versus, debate, and more. Questions? Just ask!
ZonePhoenix

Lost sharpness/contast/picture quality on after bad reboot

Post by ZonePhoenix » 09 Dec 2017, 20:22

Hey all, ive been trying to figure this out for some time now. and feel there has to be a technical explanation as to why this happened

About a year ago i was gaming normally and i needed to reboot because of frame drops so instead of shutting down windows normally i turned it off by the case reset button

After that i saw a flash inside my case and a slight smell, but everything was still fine except for one thing, The picture quality on both my monitors went to total shit and i dont know why, the sharpness and contrast i had before was lost and everything looks worse now

The quality is still acceptable and i use them but i still cant understand what happened

I took a couple pictures on my phone, the pic is of an icon on my tray illustrates what happened, the left image is how its supposed to look when the monitor renders correctly and on the right is how it currently looks, which is all blurred and stretched sideways as if the pixels dont display on a 1:1 ratio or something

https://imgur.com/a/xzSaA

I had to reboot my gpu driver about a 100 times to get that photo, and sometimes the pixels will very occasionally line up perfectly the way they used to

It's also very frustrating when playing shooters, since when i try to get a headshot it looks like i hit on my screen but im always a couple of pixels off because everything on the monitor just isnt lining up properly

The other weird thing is one of the monitors started displaying a tonne of green pixels straight after the reboot, removing the dvi to displayport cable from it and plugging in a dvi to dvi cable fixed that issue however, but it makes me wonder where did that issue come from? the gpu side or the monitor side or both?

Anyone have any ideas?

Sparky

Re: Lost sharpness/contast/picture quality on after bad rebo

Post by Sparky » 10 Dec 2017, 00:44

First make sure the resolution on the computer is set to the monitor's native resolution.

Second, what kind of cable are you using to connect the monitor? If it's vga, try the auto adjustment in the monitor's OSD. If that doesn't work try using a digital interface like DVI, Displayport or HDMI.

It's also possible there's a hardware problem with your graphics card or monitor, do you have the same issue when using integrated graphics? Do you have the same problem with the same monitor on a different computer?

ZonePhoenix

Post by ZonePhoenix » 10 Dec 2017, 01:01

Sparky wrote:First make sure the resolution on the computer is set to the monitor's native resolution.

Second, what kind of cable are you using to connect the monitor? If it's vga, try the auto adjustment in the monitor's OSD. If that doesn't work try using a digital interface like DVI, Displayport or HDMI.

It's also possible there's a hardware problem with your graphics card or monitor, do you have the same issue when using integrated graphics? Do you have the same problem with the same monitor on a different computer?
One monitor i was using dvi > displayport, i switched to dvi > dvi on that monitor after the incident, and the other monitor has been displayport the whole time

Yes i have the same issue on integrated and when using the monitor on another computer

I've considered its just the monitor that's only at fault but im not sure, since i never replaced the monitors with identical models to see exactly what would happen, just trying to find out if theres a technical explanation behind what happened and why

Sparky

Post by Sparky » 12 Dec 2017, 21:30

It certainly sounds like a problem with the monitor itself.

ZonePhoenix

Post by ZonePhoenix » 17 Sep 2018, 01:41

Sorry for super late bump

I replaced one of the original monitors which was the Benq GL2460

The brand new monitor still has the same problem

However it doesn't show any green pixels when i use the DVI > Displayport cable like the old GL2460 which is weird

It's making me think its a backend issue eg GPU and cable or a combo of both

I still experience the same thing where if i reboot the gpu driver enough times some of the static screen elements like the icons in my taskbar will eventually show up sharp and properly rendered as in the picture i linked before

I think its weird that im the only person that seems to experience this, the quality that the monitors are displaying now really is complete shit

ZonePhoenix

Post by ZonePhoenix » 19 Sep 2018, 03:13

I have an XB271HU as well which is a $1000 gaming ips and even that is pretty bad also, the contrast is so bad and everything is just varying shades of grey

For example even the GL2460 which is a $100 TN monitor was destroying it in terms of contrast, sharpness, black levels before i had the blowout inside my pc