Blur Busters Forums

Who you gonna call? The Blur Busters! For Everything Better Than 60Hz™ Skip to content

Digital Foundry - CRT better then 4K OLED

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers. The masters on Blur Busters.

Re: Digital Foundry - CRT better then 4K OLED

Postby Chief Blur Buster » 08 Oct 2019, 12:30

Waiting for local sales is preferable to shipping -- it costs several hundreds to ship overseas. Ouch.

I have a tentative local loan from spacediver, but I'd love a permanent specimen (a model matching one in flood's cherrypick list) as i now have the laboratory space for a permanent 'reference' CRT.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Postby flood » 08 Oct 2019, 23:16

well like
crt's are great and all but for purely testing purposes, i don't see the benefit of specifically using a top of the line crt.

all crt's have 0 input lag
persistence/motion blur for crt's doesn't depend on refresh rate in any way
some crt's might have shorter persistence phosphors but i don't think any particular one is outstanding
flood

Postby rasmas » 09 Oct 2019, 08:47

I've been wondering: maybe the clarity of CRT (apart of its technology) could be related to having a "glass"?
I think it could be that because of an article i read some time ago. I never liked glossy TFTs but with the CRT i don't see it as "reflective" as these glossy screens that are almost mirrors, and on that article seems it has a glossy layer but better (no idea why don't do more with these).

As you know a lot (as you showed on last pages of the thread :D ), maybe you know about this too :) .
rasmas

Postby flood » 09 Oct 2019, 16:12

ya crt's have a film with an antireflective coating (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-reflective_coating). (totally different from the antiglare on most lcd's). it's similar to the coating on eyeglasses.

if you look a specular reflection from a crt, it will appear blue because of this.
flood

Postby Sparky » 09 Oct 2019, 18:32

I've seen that type of coating on camera lenses more often than eyeglasses.
Sparky

Postby rasmas » Today, 04:06

I'd like to see a LCD with a glass (and the coating you comment) and see it improves somehow (and i'll be easier to clean :D ).

By the way is there any easy way to find if a CRT is good (without looking for its specs on internet)? or it is a list somewhere of good CRTs? (just in case i find one to know if it is worthy) ;) .
I guess that it must have flat screen-glass, but apart of that i have no idea :P .
rasmas

Previous

Return to Area 51: Display Science, Research & Engineering