Digital Foundry - CRT better then 4K OLED

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers. The masters on Blur Busters.
JKJK

Re: Digital Foundry - CRT better then 4K OLED

Post by JKJK » 28 Oct 2019, 13:44

It's probably too small an amount to register on the geiger. But because there is NO SAFE quantity of radiation, the dose and its effects are cumulative over a lifetime. All those years in front of CRT playing quake, it has increased the odds of us getting brain/ eye cancer. :lol:

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 28 Oct 2019, 23:38

JKJK wrote:It's probably too small an amount to register on the geiger. But because there is NO SAFE quantity of radiation, the dose and its effects are cumulative over a lifetime. All those years in front of CRT playing quake, it has increased the odds of us getting brain/ eye cancer. :lol:
I'm the guy who owns over a 1000 Incandescents! There is risk from those as well because of the glow/flicker they have over your lifetime. That is a risk I am fine with even CRT is a risk I am fine with because most LED feels like death to eye's and body. I do prefer my Plasma TV over my CRT though and find it easier on my eyes. Everyone has different vision though and for some reason my brain/eyes don't do well with LED.

ELK

Post by ELK » 25 Nov 2019, 10:32

All trinitrons like the one in the video use aperture grille technology. It is the reason why it looks so good.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aperture_grille

FINALLY the same concept is seen on a modern screen but (I think it is patented by samsung) and only used in their VR headset the odyssey plus.

It should be featured in every monitor imo.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2019, 15:10

Jason38 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 23:38
I'm the guy who owns over a 1000 Incandescents! There is risk from those as well because of the glow/flicker they have over your lifetime. That is a risk I am fine with even CRT is a risk I am fine with because most LED feels like death to eye's and body. I do prefer my Plasma TV over my CRT though and find it easier on my eyes. Everyone has different vision though and for some reason my brain/eyes don't do well with LED.
<SideTopic>
While LED illumination is not monitor tech, I follow these developments, and LEDs are also used in displays too...

I'm not bothered by LED (as long as they are CRI 90% and PWM-free). As long as those criteria are met (e.g. 2019-era IKEA light bulbs are my "low budget favourite" LED bulbs at the moment. The Blur Busters office is illuminated by a bunch of LEDARE 1600 Lumens, on an electronic dim-to-0% dimmer, and becomes warmer color when dimmed). They are more PWM-free than an incandescent, and they feel full-spectrum to me, but if you're sensitive to blue-light LED, they might not be good enough for you. That said, they are much superior to fluorescent and classic LED. They are improved/advanced versions of classic blue-LED with modern phosphors, which might not be good enough.

For most people, once color spectrum is solved and PWM is solved, any remaining LED discomfort by humans tends to be excess blue light in the LED bulb spectrum. Try those ultraviolet-phosphor bulbs with CRI 95. They're the bees knees. They are used in beauty salons and museums that pay a lot for proper spectrophotometer-measured LED spectrum. It's like the better-than-plasma-equivalent of LED bulbs, using phosphors for blue. Once you try those, you can ditch your hoard. I'm not sensitive as long as CRI is at least >80% and preferably >90%, but I understand the blue-spectrum issue which disrupts the circadian rhythm. That's why gaming monitors now have a low-blue-light mode, and iPhones/Androids now have a low-blue-light mode. (Imperfect as they are, they help somewhat).

Since I've become an LED expert, this probably deserves a new thread in the OffTopic Lounge.

TL;DR: Seek (A) PWM-free, (B) high-CRI, (C) ultraviolet-chip LED if you're extremely picky about LED. Getting all A+B+C in same bulb is hard to find.
</SideTopic>
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 28 Nov 2019, 15:24

ELK wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 10:32
FINALLY the same concept is seen on a modern screen but (I think it is patented by samsung) and only used in their VR headset the odyssey plus.
Nearly all LCD panels use vertical stripes of color filters much like an aperture grille, just much finer and pixel-aligned. But it is true most small OLEDs have used Pentile, which has its pros/cons. Fundamentally, as long as PPI is raised very high, and you use subpixe-aligned rendering, the benefits can be quite similar. But in the real world, pentile screens are claimed as higher resolution than they really are,

e.g. the same-resolution pentile screen as a traditional-RGB-grid screen, the way they quote specs is that there is often an average of 2 subpixels per pixel on a Pentile, and 3 subpixels per pixel on the striped grid. When going apples-vs-apples (total subpixel count), the Pentile can actually be better than striped. It's just a sleight of hand on how they measure resolution on these different pixel layouts. (Metaphorically; imagine much like a retina Pentile versus a low-resolution striped screen -- then you'd end up preferring the Pentile)

Now, I prefer traditional striped grids though, the striped OLED is a new technology for mobile screens.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

       To support Blur Busters:
       • Official List of Best Gaming Monitors
       • List of G-SYNC Monitors
       • List of FreeSync Monitors
       • List of Ultrawide Monitors

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » Yesterday, 20:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
28 Nov 2019, 15:24
ELK wrote:
25 Nov 2019, 10:32
Nearly all LCD panels use vertical stripes of color filters much like an aperture grille, just much finer and pixel-aligned. But it is true most small OLEDs have used Pentile, which has its pros/cons. Fundamentally, as long as PPI is raised very high, and you use subpixe-aligned rendering, the benefits can be quite similar. But in the real world, pentile screens are claimed as higher resolution than they really are,

e.g. the same-resolution pentile screen as a traditional-RGB-grid screen, the way they quote specs is that there is often an average of 2 subpixels per pixel on a Pentile, and 3 subpixels per pixel on the striped grid. When going apples-vs-apples (total subpixel count), the Pentile can actually be better than striped. It's just a sleight of hand on how they measure resolution on these different pixel layouts. (Metaphorically; imagine much like a retina Pentile versus a low-resolution striped screen -- then you'd end up preferring the Pentile)

Now, I prefer traditional striped grids though, the striped OLED is a new technology for mobile screens.
I'm interested in the difference between Pentile OLED vs striped OLED. I get strained by almost every LED screen but I have had success with two OLED phones Yotaphone 2 and Samsung S2. I want to buy an OLED TV from LG but want to wait one more year as I think they are bit too much still. Seems LG uses RGBW which I hope will be OK for me. I'm holding on to my Yotaphone 2 If I can get one more year as I want a 120hz refresh OLED phone at the very least with my next phone purchase. The Samsung S2 phone used a RGBG setup which is kind of interesting. That phone never gave me issues either. I'm also really interested in a gaming OLED monitor these can't come soon enough. I think these JOLED gaming monitors will be different from LG as they will be RGB OLED. I feel like OLED anything will solve most of my problems with eye strain related to screens. I love the idea of true blacks and fast pixel response time. I usually seem pretty fine with 60hz OLED I can only imagine how awesome 120hz or higher would be.