Are most frame cap settings outdated?

Everything about latency. Tips, testing methods, mouse lag, display lag, game engine lag, network lag, whole input lag chain, VSYNC OFF vs VSYNC ON, and more! Input Lag Articles on Blur Busters.
Tiberiusmoon

Are most frame cap settings outdated?

Post by Tiberiusmoon » 15 Mar 2023, 14:46

Not sure if this is the right place to post but ill start here.

I have found that frame caps become more erratic the higher the FPS target. (Overwatch and Nvidia)
Using RTSS with a FPS graph, per frame update, 0 FPS average and a 60fps range above and below target I have a few examples.

This is a 60FPS cap using Nvidia frame cap:

240FPS:

350FPS with a 70FPS range:

and this is a 350FPS cap with RTSS:

Now the issues with this are straight forward: inconsistent input latency and added latency to low latency V-sync.
Because the FPS cap seems to be more erratic the higher the target, I feel like this is something that should be addressed before it becomes unuseable.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Are most frame cap settings outdated?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 17 Mar 2023, 03:55

Area 51 is for display engineering -- I've moved this to Input Lag forum.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!