[D.S.R.] Is my assumption of OLED correct? heading towards Fullmax OLED

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Futuretech

[D.S.R.] Is my assumption of OLED correct? heading towards Fullmax OLED

Post by Futuretech » 05 Jul 2022, 00:25

I've been spending some time studying OLED lately and although I'd rather want MicroLED, I know OLED is going to be very fleshed out over the next few years as things evolve. I still think Perskovite QD MicroLED is the superior technology shame about SED/FED.

But...

Anyways my question is "Are we going to move towards fullmax operation OLED or is OLED already operating at max?"

A bit of time after the alienware QDOLED came out the Samsung panel was tested by an independent 3rd party company. Stating Black-to-White is at 0.01ms(100,000Hz)(1000/0.01) so basically the simple act of turning on and off the pixel one of OLEDs strongest strength but also a weakness in using higher than average power is fully maxed.

Everyone has been stating for years and years that OLEDs capacity is a 100,000Hz cycling duty.

The next subject they tested is the traditional LCD G-to-G considered a lame marketing stratagem of LCDs, but in OLED it actually becomes a very interesting measurement. When OLED performs a grey to grey transition it fires off at 10,000Hz(1000/0.1ms). So apparently OLEDs LCD marketing numeric value is 10 times slower than the very on/off fire of the OLED itself.

https://www.techpowerup.com/292778/sgs- ... qd-display

Now when it comes to C-t-C(Color to Color) I had to dig around and find some articles speaking on the LG panels. They mentioned with slightly older OLED technology of the LG variety compared to Samsung panel. It was mentioned for most color-to-color transitions the display is switching at some sub-milisecond, mid-to-high microsecond response time. They did state for MOST colors but some colors transitioned into CRT or good high-end LCD range of about 4-6 milliseconds with some of these firing off at 5 milliseconds.

I recall a forum(Could have been Hardforum) someone mentioned despite the LCD at 240+(360/390/500) being far superior performance wise with BFI and higher refresh rate. The sheer speed of OLED makes it a contender for a strong second just under first place. The person mentioned only slightly worse motion blur that does impact gaming performance slightly but in general the panel is so good it borders on eating the LCDs BFI higher refresh rate.

Anyways is the OLED panel supposed to operate at 100,000Hz for every single operation of On/Off, GtG, and CtC? In simplest terms are we using the maximum performance of the OLED or are we still trying to learn how to cycle OLED to it's maximum 0.01ms or 10 microsecond response time for everything?

Are future panels going to go faster and faster and faster till we learn to operate all pixels/subpixels at 10 microseconds?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [D.S.R.] Is my assumption of OLED correct? heading towards Fullmax OLED

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jul 2022, 17:17

Futuretech wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 00:25
I've been spending some time studying OLED lately and although I'd rather want MicroLED, I know OLED is going to be very fleshed out over the next few years as things evolve. I still think Perskovite QD MicroLED is the superior technology shame about SED/FED.
Being cited in more than 25 peer reviewed papers (Google Scholar), I have some very important major corrections to assumptions:

You forgot to distinguish two different pixel response measurements, GtG and MPRT

(1) 0ms GtG still produces lots of motion blur. See Why Does Some OLEDs Have Motion Blur?

(2) Motion blur is bottlenecked by frametime on a sample-and-hold display, even with perfect 0ms GtG. 60fps on a 0.01ms GtG still has 16.7ms of motion blur, because motion blur is bottlenecked by pixel visibility time, and a frame's pixel visibility time of a pixel on a sample and hold display is the frametime. So motion blur is frametime, and 1ms of frametime on a sample and hold display is 1 pixel of motion blur per 1000 pixels/sec.

(3) I saw prototype SED/FED has worse artifacts than OLED, they also had plasma-contouring style effects, because they needed digital driving of their row-column addressing.

OLEDs don't run at "10,000Hz" just because their GtG is 0.01ms. Motion blur on sample and hold is not caused by subfield Hz, but by the length of time a frame is visible for. The best case (lowest blur) is when you've got perfect framerate=Hz, at maximum native (non-faked) refresh rate. Media articles speaking in these terminology, are very highly inaccurate articles, typically by non-accredited article writers.

However, it is true that motion on OLED is clearer than LCD, because of faster GtG. However, once GtG is zeroed out and eliminated all ghosting components of blur, you still have MPRT blurring. Instant 0ms GtG perfectly follows Blur Busters Law, because GtG is an error margin to Blur Busters Law (GtG>0 means blur is always worse than Blur Busters Law). So a 240fps 240Hz sample and hold OLED always has 8 pixels of motion blur at 1920 pixels/sec, even if its GtG is perfectly 0.0000000000ms

I advise readers to study the textbook reading at www.blurbusters.com/area51 for a more accurate understanding of display physics.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: [D.S.R.] Is my assumption of OLED correct? heading towards Fullmax OLED

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 06 Jul 2022, 18:22

Also, I would like to clarify:
Futuretech wrote:
05 Jul 2022, 00:25
Anyways is the OLED panel supposed to operate at 100,000Hz for every single operation of On/Off, GtG, and CtC? In simplest terms are we using the maximum performance of the OLED or are we still trying to learn how to cycle OLED to it's maximum 0.01ms or 10 microsecond response time for everything?
No. The speed of pixel switching does not prevent display motion blur caused by pixel visibility time.

There are TWO pixel response benchmarks

GtG represents pixel transition time (how quickly a pixel changes shades, GtG = Grey To Grey).
With small GtGs, this is no longer the source of motion blur anymore on OLED

MPRT(0->100%) represents pixel visibility time (how long a pixel stays visible for until next frame). This is the main source of motion blur during low-GtG situations. When GtG matches 0.000000ms, MPRT(100%) perfectly matches Blur Busters Law where frametime is the motion blur, framerate=Hz.

A stationary pixel that stays on for 1/60sec (while your analog eyes is moving).

Your eyes are in a different position at the beginning of 1/60sec (T+0/60sec) than at the end of 1/60sec (T+1/60sec).

So your eyes are a stationary pixel ACROSS your retina. Longer MPRT = longer time a stationary pixel is visible for = more time for moving analog eyes to blur the pixel across retinas. Instantly fast 0ms GtG doesn't solve that!

The display motion blur (MPRT100%) of a instant 0ms-GtG 60Hz display is the same as a 1/60sec camera shutter:

A 240fps 240Hz perfectly instant 0ms OLED/MicroLED display has the same display motion blur as a 1/240sec camera shutter SLR photograph. (For the same eye tracking velocity = camera panning velocity).

This blur remains even if the new 60Hz refresh cycle is instant (0ms GtG transition).

Pixel visibility time of sample and hold = frametime (refreshtime, at framerate=Hz)
Pixel visibility time of strobed = strobe pulse length (at stroberate=framerate=Hz)

Two blur images:

Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!