How do I stack two projectors to increase FPS?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
thatoneguy

Re: How do I stack two projectors to increase FPS?

Post by thatoneguy » 29 Sep 2022, 11:34

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 10:40
Oh... Right. If the projectors are limited to that, then you're definitely right.

I was borrowing on my CRT projector experience, assuming the projectors were multisync-capable. But if it's just a 640x360 pixel grid, even with an analog-driven laser -- scratch what I just said, it was more applicable to stacking 2 CRT projectors.
Basically it accepts 720p signal but it doesn't have the capability to actually resolve it. Think of an average PC CRT Monitor for example that can display something like 1600x1200 but in reality can't fully resolve that detail, only with these LBS Projectors the case is much more extreme.

Laser Beam Scanning was a technology that Microvision(MVIS) was touting around but it never really got anywhere.
The Projector that the OP is talking about is a rebrand of Celluon Pico Pro from years ago. A lot of those didn't get sold so it seems some company got all of that unsold stock and made a Kickstarter or something in order to sell them.

The primary benefit of these projectors is that they are zero persistence of course because they scan in an analog fashion(although the scanning algorithm is different from CRT) and have no phosphor but apart from that they are subpar.

Now only Microsoft seems to be experimenting with this tech for AR but I really don't see them being viable there either.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 29 Sep 2022, 14:01

thatoneguy wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:34
Now only Microsoft seems to be experimenting with this tech for AR but I really don't see them being viable there either.
With some improvements to scanning speed, laser scanning is hugely advantageous to AR. Laser scanning has the potential to be zero-latency (when done correctly), which is important for avoiding AR lagbehind effects.

I've seen a laser AR prototype (at much higher resolutions) that supported HDR zero-persistence -- it's quite a sight to behold. It's literally 50x brighter than commercial AR smartglasses. Real-world white highlights was brighter than office lighting -- it was almost as bright as sun reflecting off outdoor objects. Yet I was viewing it indoors, overlaid on a brightly lit office table (offce lighting). I hadn't seen any AR display that bright and HDR capable until I glanced such prototypes.

So, laser isn't dead. It may be niche. But it isn't dead, given sufficient scanning speedups and improved scanning algorithms.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

blurfreeCRTGimp

Post by blurfreeCRTGimp » 29 Sep 2022, 17:45

"Good that you're enjoying the motion(maybe you should do the UFOTest and post it here) but let's be realistic, the resolution and the actual image quality is way worse than even a cheap consumer CRT"
The truth of the matter is, I just wanted to get in on this technology before its gone for good.

For the price, the motion, color, and sheer screen size make up for a ton of the deficiencies. Sending it a super-sampled image also helped a ton. The only odd bit was it wouldn't display Blu rays output on my PS3. Its HDMI 1.4 so I am guessing it was HDCP and handshake issues, because games were fine, and HD movies on the HDD were fine.

Metal Gear Solid 4 looked great, especially the loading screen when it was installing in the dark.

I haven't lag tested them, but the SNES classic was responsive enough that my timing for difficult jumps was the same as when I play on my CRT. Having a display with infinite contrast for sub $200 also was awesome. All of my LCDs, even my high HZ strobed one looked blurrier than this after I used it for a while and then watched content on my monitors.

Even if its actually closer to 640x360 in a test pattern, that line count is clear in motion without interpolation, that's probably how they got away with calling it 720p. In the articles you mentioned, the author was saying it uses "too much power" IE all of 6 watts. To get this kind of image for 6 watts is nothing short of a marvel of engineering. I can run this on one of those little phone charge packs lol

For a moving picture machine, I would rather have a blurred still image with sharp motion, then a sharp still image with blurry motion like every modern screen you can spend thousands on. Even the articles you referenced had the author mention that the flaws were not as noticeable at larger sizes, and I can confirm that.

This is also easier to ship than a tube lol

What it actually reminds me of was an experience with a rear projection tube I got to enjoy back in 1994. If you fed that thing standard cable as opposed to a LaserDisc, it looked like hot garbage.

I remember a TNT screening of Escape From Planet of the Apes, where everyone just looked too fuzzy to make out. The Anybeam looked way better than my 90s experience and at a larger size, it was a 50 inch rear projection CRT from the 90s, so its just about having tempered expectations.

When I played some Xbox 360 I could see every ounce of post process motion blur they added to those games. You could tell many games had it to makeup for slow LCD.

I am going to test stacking them vertically for a "1280x1440" image, so that should help with the vertical resolution just a bit.

Considering that the highest end OLED today will only get you 1080-1440 lines in motion if used with interpolation at 120hz, the low resolution is not as much of a drawback as it seems, particularly for the cost.

Just now, a 240hz OLED sample and hold will finally net motion resolution on par with a Pioneer Kuro. At least now I have a display technology that will just work at displaying the huge backlog of retro content, at 6 watts, without burn-in.

I agree with the chief that this is niche, but its awesome.
So, laser isn't dead. It may be niche. But it isn't dead, given sufficient scanning speedups
This technology with a scannrate speedup, and the AR HDR prototype you mentioned, illustrate to me that using this technology as a backlight for an LCD would go a long way to overcoming LCD shortcomings, and seems like it would be simpler, while providing way more benefit than the FALD backlight.