Considering producing SED/FED monitors... Critique needed

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
sharknice

Re: Considering producing SED/FED monitors... Critique neede

Post by sharknice » 22 Sep 2014, 21:53

DaveKap wrote:How small could you get the bezel on the edge of these monitors? It's a niche market (like SED/FED high-hz wanters) but there are folks willing to shell out cash for this kind of setup:
http://youtu.be/hsEsIXPkLAU
And they'd be just the type to buy a bezel-free monitor, just FYI.
Smaller bezels are always better, but I think a better option yet would be to just have a larger display capable of much higher resolution and refresh rate. The only limiting factor seems to be bandwidth. Which could be overcome by dividing the screen up into virtual screens that each have their own connection. So for example instead of having 5 physical screens you would have 1 giant screen with 5 display port connections that each control a small section of it.

I think the only reason this hasn't been done is because the market is too small. But I think the market is really just underestimated. A lot more people would use a super high resolution huge screen than 5 with bezels. The market for the ROG Swift was heavily underestimated. People were saying no one would buy it at $800. But Swifts have been selling out within minutes whenever they become available.

Along with gaming fanatics a giant screen like that would also be wanted by other enthusiasts and people with specialty needs. Stock traders, dispatchers, online poker players, there are a lot of people that would gobble this up.

aeliusg

Post by aeliusg » 24 Sep 2014, 11:45

This all sounds very good, but how exactly are you going to "manufacture" these? By hand? :?:

fredgido

Post by fredgido » 10 Oct 2014, 04:06

I don't think DisplayPort 1.2a has enough bandwidth/pixel clock for those resolutions at such high frame rate.

cosmitz

Post by cosmitz » 15 Oct 2014, 17:53

So, are we any closer to the 25% chance?

You can try a Kickstarter to gauge interest and fund the initial seed money to start production.

Sensuki

Post by Sensuki » 19 Oct 2014, 05:53

I registered to say I would fucking buy one of these.

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 19 Oct 2014, 11:03

don't hold your breath. The OP, while certainly passionate about CRTs and the like, is in no position to do anything of the sort. But it is good to have young passionate people :)

flood

Post by flood » 19 Oct 2014, 21:43

well idk about you guys but i'll just wait for rolling scan oled or emissive quantum dot displays

Nixtix

Post by Nixtix » 19 Nov 2014, 20:07

I would definitely consider contributing up to $500 for something like this. I hope there is some sort of kickstarter :D

flood

Post by flood » 20 Nov 2014, 00:09

rabidz7 wrote:I also want to state that I am in the very, very early planning stages
guys please
read
this
carefully

we shouldn't even get our hopes up until he actually shows us something beyond a post of what he's thinking of

Kachou

Post by Kachou » 07 Mar 2015, 19:39

Any news on that?