Monitor for vision research with controlled stimuli, not gaming

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
suresh

Monitor for vision research with controlled stimuli, not gaming

Post by suresh » 16 Jul 2023, 21:26

Hi,

I have gone through and at least generally understood the material here on this great website, including the advanced "Strobe Crosstalk: Blur Reduction Double-Images" article.

I have a very specific need - I am trying to buy a monitor for vision research experiments with dynamic stimuli. This means:

a) I can get as fast a graphics card as needed, and the display content will generally be simple compared to fast-moving games.
b) Strobing will be important, as will fast GtG and MPRT values, so that we can present rapidly changing or brief, precisely-timed stimuli.
c) Decent pixel resolution. Monitor size should be at least 21", ideally at least 24".
d) General uniformity of the display and general display quality is key, and white-point calibration would be nice, though I guess this is not part of the testing here.
e) Having a good wide-angle performance is important, but not critical if the monitor is otherwise good.
f) Price is not really an issue in the consumer range.. the competitor is a specialized display that costs about 13K for a well-tested monitor, with a scanning backlight that mimics a CRT.
g) What is really important is that the monitor should be highly controllable - so it should not have well-intentioned "optimizations" that kick in unpredictably and make the displayed output less controllable/random. I am even a bit "concerned" about the undocumented overdrive features in ULMB2, for example.

I have seen that BlurBusters recommends the Viewsonic XG 2431 and XG 270 - the 2431 still seems to be available in the US (hopefully this message does not change that :) ). I also see that the Asus ROG Swift PG27AQN and the OLED Asus PG27 AQDM (https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-rog-swift-pg27aqn and https://tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus-r ... d-pg27aqdm) both seem to tick many of the boxes. I would really appreciate some advice on these three (and other) monitors, and also in general about OLED vs IPS for my needs above, etc. Is the XG 2431 (or 270) still the best bet ?

Thanks, Suresh

1. https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00303/full is an article that is a critique of LCDs for this purpose, but I post it here since it also is a list of what we are looking for.
2. A shorter version of that is this ad from the commercial, specialized company that has a table listing how their product scores over commercial LCDs - I think it could be a bit dated - https://vpixx.com/vocal/choosing-the-right-viewpixx/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Monitor for vision research with controlled stimuli, not gaming

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 16 Jul 2023, 21:53

suresh wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 21:26
Hi,
Moved to Area51: Display Science, Research & Engineering forum area;

XG2431 may or may not be appropriate, depending on the parameters of your testing. If you're simply needing low blur (but don't care about stroboscopics), then perhaps. But I need to understand your use case, since you may prefer a 240Hz OLED instead depending on your test variables. Or even something else with a higher refresh rate. As an expert of Present()-to-Photons, I can help inform you about weak links of various displays.

For researchers researching maximum Hz of no further benefit; unfortunately, retina refresh rate (of no further humankind benefit) is not until approximately 20,000Hz for complete elimination of all human visible artifacts -- when the scientific variables are maximally amplified (e.g. maximum human angular resolving resolution on a 180-degree FOV has the highest retina refresh rate as higher resolution amplifies visible differences between stationary-vs-moving). You may have seen my companion article, Blur Busters Law: The Amazing Journey To Future 1000Hz Displays, especially the Vicious Cycle Effect section more than halfway down.

So there are a lot of weak links to pick-poison between. You definitely will have to make a choice based on your scientific requirements (things like timings, frame rate, pixel visibility time, strobe crosstalk, required FOV and angular resolution (wider FOV changes the "retina refresh rate"), GtG side effects, GtG versus MPRT, flicker vs flickerless operation), strobe crosstalk afterimages unfixable except at low refresh rates on a high-Hz displays (hertz headroom tricks), etc.

See our research portal at www.blurbusters.com/area51

I am in cited 25 papers too -- www.blurbusters.com/research-papers (autolinks to Google Scholar).

We've helped advised researchers build tachitoscopes (and other scientific equipment) out of displays before too;

Blur Busters does consulting services for people like you; I can help you select a display or a potential custom apparatus. Sometimes the advice is free (if brief), and not free (if complex) -- but at least I can help you narrow down the rabbit hole you're staring into.

Please see services.blurbusters.com and contact me through that page.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!