I had a crazy idea: DIY CRT-LCD hybrid?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
skkrskkr69

I had a crazy idea: DIY CRT-LCD hybrid?

Post by skkrskkr69 » 23 Aug 2023, 05:11

Sooo, I watched these videos:
https://youtu.be/ibEN9FTLdkI
https://youtu.be/z-q8ehzHeQQ
And then came the idea, what if I put a 4k LCD panel in front of a CRT?
Why?
Since Dual-layer LCDs have a 1080p monochrome display and a 4k color display in front, I figured I could boost CRT resolution to 4k while also boost the contrast ratio to OLED levels (because it would have a Contrast Ratio of 150.000.000:1) while maintaining CRT motion Clarity.
Would that work?
My main concerns would be brightness and response time.
Could I somehow boost the brightness if I added active cooling to the CRT?
Would the different response times break this setup?
If yes, could I somehow add delay to the CRT?
I also did find this to further refine picture quality:
https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=67124
Is this reasonably “safe”?
Maybe this is an idea the blurbuster chief is interested in answering, I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks for your attention :)

skkrskkr69

Re: I had a crazy idea: DIY CRT-LCD hybrid?

Post by skkrskkr69 » 26 Aug 2023, 16:59

UPDATE:
I've thought about this and researched A LOT about displays in the last few days.
And come up with maybe better ways to achieve my idea, mainly concerning the brightness:
Using some kind of rear projection, one could increase the TV size and could double or triple stack CRT-projectors (I know they are a mess to maintain) or Laser TVs (I don't know yet which is better for this purpose) to increase brightness significantly.
So Projector -> lenses -> LCD Panel (preferably without a mirror, because I read it worsens the picture quality)
What do you guys think?
I'll post updates if I have new ideas.

skkrskkr69

Post by skkrskkr69 » 29 Aug 2023, 15:00

Update 2:
Remove the color filters from the CRT tubes and add a Quantum-Dot film, so that colors are produced by the QD-film and LCD.
So Projectors -> lenses -> QD-film -> LCD Panel

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Sep 2023, 19:06

It is a dead end approach -- CRT tube factories have shut down and will not be spooled up again. And so we have no hardware to prototype these DIY hibrids. Quantum dots with tubes would have been a fun idea, but without any factories to help (unless there many hundreds of millions of dollars) -- sadly, not possible to build.

My Alternative Approach: Software-Based CRT Beam Simulators

For CRT simulation, my approach is simply to use brute refresh rate, combined with software-based electron beam simulators.

Such as 1000fps 1000Hz OLED, with 16 digital refresh cycles to emulate 1 analog refresh cycle. It's like a phosphor fadebehind rolling scan, like one frame of a high speed video of CRT. Done realtime, it temporally looks like the original CRT.

I'm also working with Retrotink 4K to add BFI injection with a box-in-middle approach, so even though that's only 2:1 to 4:1 usually, and not beam simulation yet, this is a more futureproof approach.

There's already accolades on beginning to do CRT simulation using BFI injection, and someday, BFI injection will be electron-beam-simulators (once we have a large ratio of input:output refresh rate, to allow such fine-granularity CRT emulation).

So getting closer to a CRT tube can also be done via box-in-middle injection systems, given brute output Hz far greater than input Hz.

A more generic approach that works on more display and display technologies. The better the color gamut and HDR (for nit boosting) is, and the more Hz, the closer to CRT you can get.

Eventually, at some point in the future, box-in-middle approaches will achieve the CRT beam simulator approach (similar to Retroarch BFIv3 suggestion). This will probably look good on 8:1 ratios, e.g. upcoming 480 Hz OLEDs in the mid 2020s decade, simulating a 60Hz CRT tube via an 8-cadence phosphor-fadebehind rolling scan algorithm with edge-blending algorithm to prevent tearing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

skkrskkr69

Post by skkrskkr69 » 05 Sep 2023, 09:49

Thanks for your answer, chief.
It's kinda funny, I've read about what you posted in your answer just a few hours ago.
If CRT Projectors are a dead end for this project, what about rolling scan Laser TVs?