DisplayPort over 4x SC fiber using only commodity hardware, can it be done ?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
shodan

DisplayPort over 4x SC fiber using only commodity hardware, can it be done ?

Post by shodan » 24 Sep 2023, 02:59

Hi,

I would like to take a display port signal, the four main high speed channels, and carry them an arbitraty lenght over OM3 fiber or better and using standard SC (SC-APC probably) connectors, since that is the easiest type of connector and fiber to cleave and assemble at home.

Regular 12 strand OM3 fiber can be had for less than 0.6$ per feet, often a lot less so I believe it is an ideal medium for arbitrary lenght display port over fiber runs. (Also would permit signal splitting using very low cost Planar Waveguide Circuit splitter such as fs com/products/121406 html (new account and don't want to anger your autoban algorithm, you'll have to reconstitute the link, it's a 150$ 32 port SC splitter))

Of course I know it "can be done" we've all seen the display port over fiber cables with the transceivers integrated right into the cable. And we've also seen the extortionate prices they want for them. And then you end up with a cable you can't take apart, change the lenght or repair if it gets damaged. I am unimpressed.

So this thread is about finding a way to create a low cost, low component count, DisplayPort to quadruple SC connector.

And not to make it too easy, the signal it should be able to carry should be "8k60" or more specifically 4k120Hz 4:4:4 10-bit hdr

So I have a couple question about what exactly is going on on those 4 channels

First question, is the signalling still LVDS digital signal ? Only ON or OFF and not QAM modulation ?

Next, what is the voltage of this signal ?

And last, what is the maximum frequency of that signal.

Hopefully this is a pure digital signal, on 3.3v and a simple high frequency transistor can be used to flicker an appropriate wavelenght diode.

Depending on exactly what kind of signal, I am curious to know if ethernet or fibrechannel or infiniband SFP (or other formats) transceivers could be repurposed into regular media converters ?

At minimum, a QSFP 56 gigabit transceiver would have the right kind of laser diode and receiver components to handle the optical media itself. plus they come already mounted with easy to use and aligned connectors. That's very probably the way to go.