How to play old (and not only) video games on high-Hz panels?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Cwuster12

How to play old (and not only) video games on high-Hz panels?

Post by Cwuster12 » 17 Feb 2024, 10:40

I know many games (including modern indie projects) that have a frequency limit of 60-120, and sometimes 30 Hz. It even happens that if you remove it, problems arise with physics or the gameplay and the game itself break. The question is, what should a person do then who bought a 240+ hertz panel and wants to play his favorite game that came out on PS2 at 240 frames per second with less blur?

What should he do? Apart from the stroboscopic mode, are there any other ways to solve the problem?

Supermodel_Evelynn

Re: How to play old (and not only) video games on high-Hz panels?

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 17 Feb 2024, 11:21

Up until 2 months ago the answer to this question would be no there is noway until now

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9930 ... s_Scaling/

^ This app a frame generation app on Steam costs like $7 and it can run any locked 30 FPS or 60 FPS game at double the FPS to 60 / 120 FPS and it takes full advantage of your display if strobing at 120 HZ also, it's quite something and it's animated perfectly in sync however it can NOT go more than double FPS.

I use it for street fighter 6 etc and it works remarkable well especially for games with Key Frame design.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/lossle ... es.804027/

^ resetera even has a thread on it by knowledgeable people I use this app and I will never ever go back to 60 FPS games.

Cwuster12

Post by Cwuster12 » 20 Feb 2024, 09:30

Supermodel_Evelynn wrote:
17 Feb 2024, 11:21
Up until 2 months ago the answer to this question would be no there is noway until now

^ This app a frame generation app on Steam costs like $7 and it can run any locked 30 FPS or 60 FPS game at double the FPS to 60 / 120 FPS and it takes full advantage of your display if strobing at 120 HZ also, it's quite something and it's animated perfectly in sync however it can NOT go more than double FPS.

I use it for street fighter 6 etc and it works remarkable well especially for games with Key Frame design.

^ resetera even has a thread on it by knowledgeable people I use this app and I will never ever go back to 60 FPS games.
But it’s ugly, the interface and sometimes the 3D scene itself crumble

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 20 Feb 2024, 11:00

Cwuster12 wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 09:30
17 Feb 2024, 11:21

But it’s ugly, the interface and sometimes the 3D scene itself crumble
Are you sure?

I use Lossless_Scaling frame gen interpolation and it works fine except for fast 3D FPS where the edge of the screen has a nauseating issue where it looks like ur looking through glass like the edge is not in sync

But for retro games, 2D games, console games locked to 60 FPS like street fighter 6 etc it looks absolutely beautiful and you can't even tell its just interpolation you would swear it was designed that way.

I should note I use Intel ARC A750 Video Card which as I understand seems to have the least amount of issues with this frame generation in all honesty.

Cwuster12

Post by Cwuster12 » 21 Feb 2024, 08:30

20 Feb 2024, 11:00
Are you sure?

I use Lossless_Scaling frame gen interpolation and it works fine except for fast 3D FPS where the edge of the screen has a nauseating issue where it looks like ur looking through glass like the edge is not in sync

But for retro games, 2D games, console games locked to 60 FPS like street fighter 6 etc it looks absolutely beautiful and you can't even tell its just interpolation you would swear it was designed that way.

I should note I use Intel ARC A750 Video Card which as I understand seems to have the least amount of issues with this frame generation in all honesty.
Yes, I have a 4070 and in video games where the 1st person camera is used, the interface crumbles, sometimes the car model in racing games can crumble. But I must admit, I haven’t noticed such problems in 2D games yet

Pyrolistical

Post by Pyrolistical » 21 Feb 2024, 17:58

retroarch with bfi