Create an Open Standard -- for Hi-Speed Imaging & Display?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Neo

Post by Neo » 19 Jan 2014, 14:45

I have little to say on this subject so mostly I'm just throwing the idea out there with a question: with the broad latent demand for hi-speed imaging (FPS gamers to advanced GUIs to VR to UHDTV) shouldn't there be an organized community to, well, organize the demand for this technology? There is activity in the mod/hack community and some display makers are slowly introducing hi-speed input models but nothing really seems official, or enforcing minimum standards, hence HDMI 2, or planning for the future. Hi-speed displays should get the same Retina-quality fanboi treatment from the marketplace that Retina / Super Hi-Vision (to use NHK's meme-tastic UHDTV terminology) displays do.

Does anyone else think it's time for a serious attempt at organizing an open standards project for "Super Hi-Speed" to go along with "Super Hi-Vision" UHDTV and Retina displays?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 22 Jan 2014, 13:57

Neo wrote:I have little to say on this subject so mostly I'm just throwing the idea out there with a question: with the broad latent demand for hi-speed imaging (FPS gamers to advanced GUIs to VR to UHDTV) shouldn't there be an organized community to, well, organize the demand for this technology? There is activity in the mod/hack community and some display makers are slowly introducing hi-speed input models but nothing really seems official, or enforcing minimum standards, hence HDMI 2, or planning for the future. Hi-speed displays should get the same Retina-quality fanboi treatment from the marketplace that Retina / Super Hi-Vision (to use NHK's meme-tastic UHDTV terminology) displays do.

Does anyone else think it's time for a serious attempt at organizing an open standards project for "Super Hi-Speed" to go along with "Super Hi-Vision" UHDTV and Retina displays?
An open standardization for high-Hz displays?
This is an excellent suggestion, and Blur Busters would be happy to be behind such an effort.

I have experience writing industry standards that gets accepted by an organization:
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html
XMPP: In-Band Real-Time Text (by Mark Rejhon), illustrated animations at http://www.realjabber.org

It may be a bit too early to start a standards initiative, and I need to grow a little bit more industry pull (even as ASUS, BENQ, NVIDIA has begun paying serious attention to Blur Busters). However, I am well positioned to help contribute to an industry standardization for computer/gaming-friendly low-persistence and high-Hz displays. Our tests show that even 1000Hz is not the final frontier, and not everyone at ASUS/BENQ quite realizes this. See post Need 1000fps at 1000Hz to achieve 1ms persistence without using strobing.

At the very least, I would very much to start a standardization of response measurement. I want displays to report response measurements in persistence, not just GtG/transition. Chiefly because most 1ms/2ms LCDs still have 16.7ms of persistence, and persistence is THE cause of display motion blur, not GtG/transition (proof: www.testufo.com/eyetracking).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Neo

Re: Create an Open Standard -- for Hi-Speed Imaging & Displa

Post by Neo » 22 Jan 2014, 16:03

Thank's for cleaning up the subject line. ;)
Chief Blur Buster wrote: It may be a bit too early to start a standards initiative, and I need to grow a little bit more industry pull...
Yes, that's where I see the current situation: evangelism and building activist consumer demand so industry hears it.
At the very least, I would very much to start a standardization of response measurement.
Maybe even a new buzzterm is needed. "Effective frame" or something that measures the actual image light delivered to the eye, as well as it's quality (gamma, chroma, flicker etc.)