1000 Hz: The Journey Begins

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
MCLV

Re: 1000 Hz: The Journey Begins

Post by MCLV » 12 May 2021, 03:52

Well, if you have insider information that displays with such specific refresh rates are planned then you can ask your source to give you an indication of timeline as well ;)

Otherwise, you can have a look at my plot but there is no guarantee that displays with such these refresh rates will even exist. Or if they do, they might not be released in consecutive order.

Kamen Rider Blade

Post by Kamen Rider Blade » 12 May 2021, 06:27

MCLV wrote:
12 May 2021, 03:52
Well, if you have insider information that displays with such specific refresh rates are planned then you can ask your source to give you an indication of timeline as well ;)

Otherwise, you can have a look at my plot but there is no guarantee that displays with such these refresh rates will even exist. Or if they do, they might not be released in consecutive order.
I think we're at the beginning of a diminishing return curve and that the rise to 1,000 Hz is going to take longer than expected for many reasons out of our control.

MCLV

Post by MCLV » 12 May 2021, 07:18

I don't think that we are near the limit for motion blur in sample-and-hold displays but I also expect that journey to 1000 Hz might take long time. I expect that strobing/black frame insertion will become more widespread and the go-to solution for gaming. This is because generally reaching 1000 fps in majority of games is harder than reaching 200-400 fps and using strobing to reduce persistence to <1 ms levels. Second option gives you higher quality of in-game graphics with very reasonable input lag while partially suppressing artifacts connected with strobing at lower framerates. But let's see what happens and which solution gets mainstream acceptance.

Kamen Rider Blade

Post by Kamen Rider Blade » 17 May 2021, 16:14

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/05 ... ra-sensor/

The display is a Sharp-made OLED with a whopping 240 Hz refresh rate. Sharp has made 240 Hz displays before, but it says this one is the "world's first" display to have a dynamic refresh rate that goes from 1 Hz to 240 Hz, depending on the content.

Why can't we get this type of VRR on Desktop monitors?

I would love for 1-240 Hz VRR window.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 24 May 2021, 17:53

Kamen Rider Blade wrote:
17 May 2021, 16:14
I would love for 1-240 Hz VRR window.
It might be doing that via LFC-style algorithms (Low Frame Rate Compensation).

On LCDs, the use of LFC already does this, and LFC can produce superior quality to native Hz.

Because low native Hz can have degraded quality, LFC prevents flicker issues, gamma issues, less varying ghosting-vs-corona issues, and inversion artifacts. Even OLED is not immune; OLED can get gamma issues at low vs high refresh rates, while LCDs can have inversion flicker effects.

With wide VRR ranges (240Hz or 360Hz), LFC stutter is actually nonexistent, and LFC produces some image quality improvements. Repeating 24Hz 24 times to generate 1Hz usually produces superior 1Hz refresh cycles, without the screen-memory-decay-effect flickering.

So that means 1fps=1Hz, LFC can produce superior image quality sometimes than native 1Hz, depending on the screen technology and how it handles low native refresh rates without flicker/gamma/inversion/ghosting artifacts. But at the end of the day, who wants to play a slide show of 1 frames per second, anyway? :D
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Supermodel_Evelynn

Post by Supermodel_Evelynn » 20 Feb 2024, 11:03

What I don't get is Nvidia has a 1700 HZ screen in their lab they have had it for 10 years now

So why then are we still at 500 HZ like 10 years later?

phpBB [video]

Cwuster12

Post by Cwuster12 » 21 Feb 2024, 08:35

Supermodel_Evelynn wrote:
20 Feb 2024, 11:03
What I don't get is Nvidia has a 1700 HZ screen in their lab they have had it for 10 years now

So why then are we still at 500 HZ like 10 years later?

This is an experimental laboratory display. And as I see from the video, they move the screen on rails and thus it creates the effect of movement on the screen, but high Hertz + high fps + probably 1080p means that there is so little motion blur (probably at a speed of 0.5-0.25 seconds for horizontal movement ) that there are no more than 4 blurry pixels