Benq S-Switch potential disassembly. [2420g general talk]

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Vechs

Benq S-Switch potential disassembly. [2420g general talk]

Post by Vechs » 24 Aug 2019, 05:06

Hello, due to recent benq overclock discovery, i will be potentially sacrificing my S-Switch, in-order to check what is so special inside this piece of plastic.
Currently : sounds of glue and clips snapping are a thing, but seem to be unsuccessful to open, any suggestions?

Edit : I am interested of dumping/documenting XL-2420G, internals, ROM, etc.
I have dumped softMCCS classic engine and g-sync engine, to check opcodes/differences. Is there a way to extract the monitor firmware (interested in .bin or something along those lines) from a DVI port or something? Would be good if data is fully from the monitor, then ill continue the thread with the collected data.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Benq S-Switch potential disassembly. [2420g general talk

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 30 Aug 2019, 20:58

Vechs wrote:Hello, due to recent benq overclock discovery, i will be potentially sacrificing my S-Switch, in-order to check what is so special inside this piece of plastic.
Currently : sounds of glue and clips snapping are a thing, but seem to be unsuccessful to open, any suggestions?

Edit : I am interested of dumping/documenting XL-2420G, internals, ROM, etc.
I have dumped softMCCS classic engine and g-sync engine, to check opcodes/differences. Is there a way to extract the monitor firmware (interested in .bin or something along those lines) from a DVI port or something? Would be good if data is fully from the monitor, then ill continue the thread with the collected data.
Do not bother assembling the S-Switch.
I can confirm there is nothing special about the S-Switch.

It simply does the equivalent of automatically activating a series of DDC commands.
Which you can do via a software app program instead, see the 220 Hz overclock thread to do it without the S-Switch.

As for backing up monitor firmware, I saw someone successfully did this once under Linux in the Linux firmware upgrade thread, to backup the old firmware before installing a firmware upgrade.

You may want to edit your topic thread title since S-Switch disassembly is completely useless to these goals, and you can do the same thing via transmitting SetVCPFeature() API from Windows anyway.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Vechs

Benq XL2420G general discussion [previously : s-switch talks

Post by Vechs » 02 Sep 2019, 05:04

Thanks for the awesome information, will check out and update on the monitor firmware as soon as i can get it!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Benq S-Switch potential disassembly. [2420g general talk

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 05 Sep 2019, 00:09

You can prototype your DDC commands in Entech Taiwan SoftMCCS

Then you can program it into your Windows app. Perhaps a system tray app that reinitalizes these DDC commands everytime computer wakes up or everytime the display switches modes, etc. To automatically dismiss the Out-Of-Range message. Basically structure the DDC commands as simply signals to force-dismiss the Out Of Range popup, which causes the monitor to try to display the overclocked mode.

If you like, opensource your app under MIT or Apache (or similar opensource license), we welcome collaboration on these kinds of stuff!

UPDATE: DDC commands were discovered that bypasses the need for the S-Switch. See the newer Universal Overclock thread.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!