Digital Foundry - CRT better then 4K OLED

High Hz on OLED produce excellent strobeless motion blur reduction with fast GtG pixel response. It is easier to tell apart 60Hz vs 120Hz vs 240Hz on OLED than LCD, and more visible to mainstream. Includes WOLED and QD-OLED displays.
1000WATT

Re: Digital Foundry - CRT better then 4K OLED

Post by 1000WATT » 25 Sep 2019, 11:51

rasmas wrote: Also, the main problem i see with CRTs is, how do you connect them from VGA to HDMI-DisplayPort? Does it add lag? What is the best method? What is the best quality-price method?
gtx 980 ti dvi-i

(the only reason my crt is standing in the closet is the transition from 980 to 1080ti. 3 pieces of FW900 are available in my city for 105 and 140 dollars.)
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

Jason38

Post by Jason38 » 25 Sep 2019, 19:40

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/kz4g ... n-a-4k-lcd It looks like Vice picked up on the Digital Foundry video about CRT monitors. So cool to see these in the mainstream. It would be even cooler if someone started a small factory and started making them again specific to gaming.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 26 Sep 2019, 05:01

1000WATT wrote:
rasmas wrote: Also, the main problem i see with CRTs is, how do you connect them from VGA to HDMI-DisplayPort? Does it add lag? What is the best method? What is the best quality-price method?
gtx 980 ti dvi-i

(the only reason my crt is standing in the closet is the transition from 980 to 1080ti. 3 pieces of FW900 are available in my city for 105 and 140 dollars.)
But, as you pointed, newer cards don't have VGA ports, DVI needs an active convertor, like to connect HDMI or Displayports, so: best way to connect VGA to HDMI-DisplayPort, without adding lag? (I've been looking for that and seems there are a lot and are arround 10-20€, maybe all can perform good enough).
FW900, although being widescreen is really nice (it is the best CRT or only because it is widescreen?), seems you have to check them in person as sometimes they degrade; but anyway you are lucky having them so close :D .
Jason38 wrote:... It would be even cooler if someone started a small factory and started making them again specific to gaming.
Hope they do, but hope they do them cheap :D .

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 26 Sep 2019, 06:42

rasmas wrote:
1000WATT wrote:
gtx 980 ti dvi-i

But, as you pointed, newer cards don't have VGA ports, DVI needs an active convertor, like to connect HDMI or Displayports, so: best way to connect VGA to HDMI-DisplayPort, without adding lag? (I've been looking for that and seems there are a lot and are arround 10-20€, maybe all can perform good enough).
FW900, although being widescreen is really nice (it is the best CRT or only because it is widescreen?), seems you have to check them in person as sometimes they degrade; but anyway you are lucky having them so close :D .

I answered this part of the question.
What is the best method? gtx 980 ti dvi-i
has an analog signal and connects to a vga passive adapter. (no increase in input lag)

I had only 1 active dp-vga adapter https://imgur.com/V5iNV6J that I tried. input lag feels higher than on the xl2730z monitor. and I refused to use crt.
Perhaps there are new adapters that convert the signal faster I don’t know.
seems you have to check them in person as sometimes they degrade; but anyway you are lucky having them so close
I have my own fw900 and it has become useless to me.
information about the available 3 monitors. This is for those who stop the price tag from articles on monitors at $ 1k, look and find cheaper. (The most prized CRT monitor of them all, Sony's GDM-FW900, recently sold for $ 999 on eBay, and buying a compatible graphics card or video adapter could raise the final cost even further.)
I often do not clearly state my thoughts. google translate is far from perfect. And in addition to the translator, I myself am mistaken. Do not take me seriously.

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 26 Sep 2019, 09:57

most cheap adapter are poor quality: low refresh, limited resolution, i suggest to search the web for fw900 widescreen, there is a very large and old thread forum about this monitor that covers most of the fw900 info and people there have done very good contributions about this and other CRT monitors, from calibration guides to best current DAC adapters to connect CRT monitor to modern video cards, as a quick note, the best adapter seems to be a sunix dpu3000 (expensive sadly) with pixel clocks up to 500 mhz, so it allows to use a monitor like the fw900 at its resolution and refresh rate full potential, and input lag with this seems very minimal to none from user tests there, also in there, there are people that have tested fw900 with gtx 1080 ti via that adapter with general good results, some minor issues that area dealable. there is also the CRT collective group in facebook in which is confirmed the fw900 being used with a geforce RTX 2700 card via dpu3000 up to 1920 x 1200 96hz.

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 27 Sep 2019, 09:06

1000WATT wrote:...
I answered this part of the question.
What is the best method? gtx 980 ti dvi-i
has an analog signal and connects to a vga passive adapter. (no increase in input lag)
What i wanted to mean is that new cards don't have dvi, so to use CRTs you need adapters (active), and, as you said seems there is nothing with a good quality-price.
That's the main problem for me, but thanks for telling that the 980 works fine, maybe i could find a good one ;) .
3dfan wrote:most cheap adapter are poor quality: low refresh, limited resolution, i suggest to search the web for fw900 widescreen, there is a very large and old thread forum about this monitor that covers most of the fw900 info and people there have done very good contributions about this and other CRT monitors, from calibration guides to best current DAC adapters to connect CRT monitor to modern video cards, as a quick note, the best adapter seems to be a sunix dpu3000 (expensive sadly) with pixel clocks up to 500 mhz, so it allows to use a monitor like the fw900 at its resolution and refresh rate full potential, and input lag with this seems very minimal to none from user tests there, also in there, there are people that have tested fw900 with gtx 1080 ti via that adapter with general good results, some minor issues that area dealable. there is also the CRT collective group in facebook in which is confirmed the fw900 being used with a geforce RTX 2700 card via dpu3000 up to 1920 x 1200 96hz.
Just checked and the sunix dpu3000 is almost 125€ here xD, a bit expensive as you said, but at least now i know the best and can search from there. I'll search that thread too, thanks ;) .

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 27 Sep 2019, 10:16

https://hardforum.com/threads/24-widesc ... ts.952788/
where spacediver, he seems to have 3 such monitors.it is strange that he has not yet appeared in this thread. :lol:

rasmas

Post by rasmas » 28 Sep 2019, 05:12

1000WATT wrote:https://hardforum.com/threads/24-widesc ... ts.952788/
where spacediver, he seems to have 3 such monitors.it is strange that he has not yet appeared in this thread. :lol:
Thanks, that thread seems full of useful information (for all kind of CRTs)!

If you don't mind me asking, do you use strobing on your xl2730z? do you play fast FPS? don't you really miss the SONY on games (maybe not on text)?

Wish we would live close (don't think you live on Spain, right? xD) so i could go to "help you" to get rid of that "useless" CRT of yours :D :P . Now seriously, i think you have to keep that monitor as i think it can rise its price (more with the recent articles), so when you sell it you can pay a whole new PC :) (although i would keep the Sony and the 980 and have a secondary PC, just in case :D ).

Again thanks for the link (not reading the 418 pages xD but it is still active and i think i can get a lot of information there :) ).

3dfan

Post by 3dfan » 28 Sep 2019, 08:49

there is no need to read the entire thread there, use the search function, search words such "dpu3000" "sunix" "delock" also search for user "derupter", he has provided very usefull info about DAC adapters.

now that you seem from europe, there seems to be an adapter (delock 62967) cheaper than the sunix for the european market from my undertanding, that eventhoug with pixel clocks lower that the sunix seems to be good enought for resolutions and refreshes for the fw900, more info about it search there "62967"

1000WATT

Post by 1000WATT » 29 Sep 2019, 06:05

rasmas wrote: If you don't mind me asking, do you use strobing on your xl2730z? do you play fast FPS? don't you really miss the SONY on games (maybe not on text)?

Wish we would live close (don't think you live on Spain, right? xD) so i could go to "help you" to get rid of that "useless" CRT of yours :D :P . Now seriously, i think you have to keep that monitor as i think it can rise its price (more with the recent articles), so when you sell it you can pay a whole new PC :) (although i would keep the Sony and the 980 and have a secondary PC, just in case :D ).
xl2730z tried the strobe, but did not use it constantly. a lot of crosstalk, the scaler did not support VT tweak. only in battlefield. I am indifferent to Sony. Yes, Russla and Spain are not nearby).
I have no hope that it will rise in price, especially in my country. Yes, he still has advantages regarding LCD matrices, but every year they are less and less.
if we talk about games.
You get good colors, but are these colors needed for fps games?
you get instant response but are limited to low hz.
Yes, you get a very soft strobe without any artifacts.
but it still flickers. and I don’t understand why in games they warn about possible attacks of epilepsy, and the sticker with the same warning is not glued to the monitors.
for solo games there has long been an oled tv.
For FPS games there are 240zh monitors. and as soon as we get interpolation with minimal delays and artifacts from 1000fps, including for retro console players. my fw900 will definitely go to the trash.
Also, if you like to tinker with the settings and calibration of the fw900, this is a good choice, it will take away all your free time, becoming more and more perfect. Like those people who like to sit in the garage and repair and clean the engine of their beloved old car. This is a kind of buzz.
As an all-in-one device, I prefer the 1440p 165 g-sync. But this is the one person’s gaze.