Strobed Motion Blur Reduction Is Same As PWM (but good kind of PWM)

There are over 100 ergonomic issues from displays, far more than just flicker and blue light. This forum covers the giant variety of display ergonomics issues.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Strobed Motion Blur Reduction Is Same As PWM (but good kind of PWM)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 25 Feb 2023, 13:51

du57in wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 16:03
I have a question about this (please feel free to delete or move if appropriate).

The new iPhone 14 is measured by some reviewers as having a 60Hz PWM rate with a 60Hz refresh rate. When those reviews were published, PWM sensitive users were furious that Apple went with such a low PWM refresh rate.

If I understand this correctly, this should actually be much better for PWM sensitive users as opposed to the non-synced rates of previous iPhones.
Interesting! The decision of framerate=Hz PWM is a tough decision, which is a pick-poison between PWM flicker and motion blur. Some people are more sensitive to motion blur, and some people are more sensitive to PWM.

Alternatively, it might be a confusion with the OLED brief black flicker (less than 5% refreshtime), which has no discernable effect in motionblur.

Are you able to tell me if there's some motion blur benchmarks with the iPhone 14? I have not been paying attention to iPhone 14's motion blur performance at various brightness settings, although I have been itching to buy an iPhone 14 Plus later this year.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

du57in

Post by du57in » 26 Feb 2023, 12:32

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 13:51
du57in wrote:
16 Feb 2023, 16:03
I have a question about this (please feel free to delete or move if appropriate).

The new iPhone 14 is measured by some reviewers as having a 60Hz PWM rate with a 60Hz refresh rate. When those reviews were published, PWM sensitive users were furious that Apple went with such a low PWM refresh rate.

If I understand this correctly, this should actually be much better for PWM sensitive users as opposed to the non-synced rates of previous iPhones.
Interesting! The decision of framerate=Hz PWM is a tough decision, which is a pick-poison between PWM flicker and motion blur. Some people are more sensitive to motion blur, and some people are more sensitive to PWM.

Alternatively, it might be a confusion with the OLED brief black flicker (less than 5% refreshtime), which has no discernable effect in motionblur.

Are you able to tell me if there's some motion blur benchmarks with the iPhone 14? I have not been paying attention to iPhone 14's motion blur performance at various brightness settings, although I have been itching to buy an iPhone 14 Plus later this year.
The two best, which appear lacking, are probably these two:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-iPh ... 760.0.html

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-14-display-test/

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2023, 15:10

du57in wrote:
26 Feb 2023, 12:32
The two best, which appear lacking, are probably these two:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-iPh ... 760.0.html

https://www.dxomark.com/apple-iphone-14-display-test/
Thank you!

I guess I will find out when I get an iPhone 14 Plus later this year to upgrade my old phone.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!