Is motion blur directly related to strobe visibility or not?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: Is motion blur directly related to strobe visibility or not?

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 19 Apr 2021, 17:35

MCLV wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 13:39
valeriy l14 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 12:20
Okay, then you can tell me what the refresh rate of the display should be to look perfectly sharp (about 95-99% of the time) in motion for a 24 inch 2560x1440 screen (now I have 82 hz) .
I think Chief already answered you, it's roughly 1000 Hz on a sample-and-hold display unless you restrict movement speed. 82 Hz is good for 82 pixels per second. Anything faster produces blur (but blur at double this speed would be still quite manageable). So if you know required movement speed in pixels per second you also know required refresh rate of sample-and-hold display. This is under assumption that your eye can resolve pixels of the screen also while tracking the movement.
valeriy --

Yep. I already answered;

1. It's not a sudden cutoff threshold
2. It varies from human to human
3. I already answered generalities.

I'll repeat one of my answers again, but in a shorter summary:

One screenwidth per second is a common eye tracking speed, and some people can eye-track two screenwidths per second. So twice the horizontal resolution of the screen is usually the screen's approximate retina refresh rate. Thus, for 2560x1440, the horizontal resolution is 2560. So for motions up to one screen with per second, the retina refresh rate becomes pretty close to 2560fps @ 2560Hz. And if you have faster motion than that, with your eyetracking capable of two screenwidths per second speed, then retina refresh rate becomes 5120fps @ 5120Hz. Now, if you also ADDED 1 refresh cycle motion blur (to erase wagonwheel effect / stroboscopics of faster motion than your eyetracking ability), the retina refresh rate is almost definitely at least twice the horizontal screen resolution, as long as angular pixel resolution is within your vision acuity.

Repeating a TL;DR: The minimum retina refresh rate is equal (or somewhat above) the screen's horizontal resolution, to accomodate all motionspeeds.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!