New LG Display OLED BDI/BFI Patent

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
stl8k

New LG Display OLED BDI/BFI Patent

Post by stl8k » 30 May 2021, 10:36

Shinji Takasugi is LG Displays top BDI/BFI engineer. I thought his latest patent which I'll dive into in the next week may be of interest. Search his name on your favorite patent or research search site and see other related patents. LG Display was fairly active with BDI/BFI patent applications in the 2018-2019 time frame.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20210118369A1/en

This claim stood out as interesting.
The device of claim 2, wherein when the number of the plurality of rows of the first block is p and the number of the plurality of rows of the first block receiving the black level voltage is q, the data voltage is modified such that the luminance increases by p/(p−q) times.
Also interesting to me was the unique visualization in certain of the figures, for example,

I hadn't seen this type of visualization in previous patents. Better fidelity figures for this patent may be found in the corresponding Korean patent.

elexor

Re: New LG Display OLED BDI/BFI Patent

Post by elexor » 30 May 2021, 23:28

I'm hoping they do a true dual scanning oled like this.

The way they do it right now adds a bunch of lag particular with 60hz. (29ms) we have zero options besides a crt to do quality 60hz strobing without lag lcd isn't fast enough to do quality strobing without a scanning backlight or a high Vertical Total mode exclusive to a pc. lots of devices cannot ever support faster then native 60hz scanrates.

with a dual on and off pass oled you can use nativescanrates no buffering required no lag added.
you will also gain fine adjustment of display persistence so users can have a choice between brightness or lower motion blur.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 01 Jun 2021, 15:44

elexor wrote:
30 May 2021, 23:28
The LG C9 and CX OLEDs already does this during 60Hz single-strobe at maximum setting -- although there's more tapedelay latency than there should be.

I think you meant this one instead:

From Custom OLED Rolling Scan Patterns + 960Hz OLED
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

elexor

Post by elexor » 01 Jun 2021, 22:58

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 15:44
elexor wrote:
30 May 2021, 23:28
The LG C9 and CX OLEDs already does this during 60Hz single-strobe at maximum setting -- although there's more tapedelay latency than there should be.

I think you meant this one instead:

From Custom OLED Rolling Scan Patterns + 960Hz OLED
If it really is dual scanning why are they frame buffering the inputs and creating a bunch of lag? why are all adjustments tied to 240hz intervals?

the oleds panels are capable of native scan rates so that's not the problem.

Is it just a case of clueless implementation? maybe we should get them on the blurbusters approved program :) If they came out with bfi that's low lag and has fine adjustments of persistence i would buy one in a second.

right now you only have 1 choice @60hz 4.2ms mprt.
since oled's have a brightness problem we should have a choice between mprt or brightness. even 8ms mprt can take the edge of 60hz sample and hold blur.

really frustrating that they choose double strobing to control the brightness.

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 03 Jun 2021, 02:48

elexor wrote:
01 Jun 2021, 22:58
really frustrating that they choose double strobing to control the brightness.
The only time that LG double-strobes is the medium setting during 60Hz. It's annoying, but it doesn't affect 120Hz strobing or the low/high setting of 60Hz strobing.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!