HOWTO: Quick Frame Transport (QFT) - Large Vertical Totals (reduce lag, reduce crosstalk)

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Re: HOWTO: Quick Frame Transport (QFT) - Large Vertical Totals (reduce lag, reduce crosstalk)

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 26 Feb 2023, 03:05

elexor wrote:
25 Feb 2023, 22:12
You make some good points about the viability of using scanning backlights for blur reduction with current FALD tech, thanks. will be waiting for some flexible bfi oleds.
At this point, I feel it's a roughly even horse race.

Time will tell, but the cheapest OLEDs on the market are all 3-figure-priced 240Hz OLEDs arriving this year, and they haven't even pushed the limits of OLED pixel performance yet.

The sleeping OLED tortise has apparently sudden woken up as of 2023 and started a very good running start. The hare in this race is forewarned.

Beyond simple sheer Hz, the low Hz blur mitigation will probably be a race between decision to implement a rolling-scan algorithm in OLEDs, versus doing the same for high-count FALD backlights (that become flexible programmable enough to work as a rolling-scan backlights).
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

merlinch

Re: HOWTO: Quick Frame Transport (QFT) - Large Vertical Totals (reduce lag, reduce crosstalk)

Post by merlinch » 08 Mar 2023, 04:04

Hi, every time i want to use QFT (both via ToastyX Vertical total calculator and this method) it ended up like this Image

I need to input them manually and test if it working fullscreen or like the picture above. should i use my manual settings?

HappyHubris

Post by HappyHubris » 08 Mar 2023, 13:40

Trying to parse all of this makes my head hurt. I've used CRU on my old MG279Q when the stock refresh rate was limited to 90Hz with Freesync. Would this approach improve strobing cross-talk on my Dell S3422DWG?

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Mar 2023, 19:48

merlinch wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 04:04
Hi, every time i want to use QFT (both via ToastyX Vertical total calculator and this method) it ended up like this Image

I need to input them manually and test if it working fullscreen or like the picture above. should i use my manual settings?
Try increasing Back Porch size versus Front Porch size, instead.

What it looks like on your screen is that your top-edge overscan (Back Porch) became visible.

Sometimes increasing the other number instead, solves the problem.

This is a monitor-specific quirk, which is sometimes solvable by increasing a different number.

In your situation, your Sync or your Vertical Back Porch is somehow pushed downwards into the visible region from above the top edge of the screen.

So different monitors may be more QFT-performant if you increase the Back Porch number instead of the Vertical Total number (without increasing Back Porch size). Failing that, try increasing Front Porch size instead.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 10 Mar 2023, 19:51

HappyHubris wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 13:40
Trying to parse all of this makes my head hurt.
Yes, it's advanced tweaking -- like learning how to use a colorimeter for tuning color.

Metaphorically, this is under-the-car-hood tweaking or airplane cockpit league tweaking -- not some mere fiddling with car dashboard settings.

These tweaks are usually not for the faint of heart, but ToastyX CRU did recently make QFT tweaking easier.
HappyHubris wrote:
I've used CRU on my old MG279Q when the stock refresh rate was limited to 90Hz with Freesync. Would this approach improve strobing cross-talk on my Dell S3422DWG?
Depends on how the display behaves.

Fortunately, the new ToastyX Vertical Total Calculator makes it much easier -- try the latest ToastyX and simply modify the refresh rate. Your VT will increase automatically the more you lower your refresh rate. The scanout stays at max Hz even at lower Hz, creating the QFT effect automatically for you (more headroom to hide LCD GtG between refresh cycles, reducing strobe crosstalk).

HappyHubris

Post by HappyHubris » 12 Mar 2023, 20:02

Chief Blur Buster wrote:
10 Mar 2023, 19:51
HappyHubris wrote:
Trying to parse all of this makes my head hurt.
Yes, it's advanced tweaking -- like learning how to use a colorimeter for tuning color.

Metaphorically, this is under-the-car-hood tweaking or airplane cockpit league tweaking -- not some mere fiddling with car dashboard settings.

These tweaks are usually not for the faint of heart, but ToastyX CRU did recently make QFT tweaking easier.
HappyHubris wrote:
I've used CRU on my old MG279Q when the stock refresh rate was limited to 90Hz with Freesync. Would this approach improve strobing cross-talk on my Dell S3422DWG?
Depends on how the display behaves.

Fortunately, the new ToastyX Vertical Total Calculator makes it much easier -- try the latest ToastyX and simply modify the refresh rate. Your VT will increase automatically the more you lower your refresh rate. The scanout stays at max Hz even at lower Hz, creating the QFT effect automatically for you (more headroom to hide LCD GtG between refresh cycles, reducing strobe crosstalk).
Thanks!

F1zus

Post by F1zus » 25 Aug 2023, 09:51

Can I increase QFT by 1.5 times?
Let's say I have a 240Hz 1080p monitor. In the game, I use a reduced screen resolution of 1440x1080 and for it I can increase the QFT until the Pixel clock reaches 600Mhz (this is the limit for 240Hz monitors). I multiply total vertical 1125 by 1.5 (1.48 for an even number) and it's 1665. Can this be used to reduce blur at 240Hz but lower screen resolutions?
My monitor works like this.
Monitor aw2518hf, vsync off, 300fps lock with amd chill.