Charles Poynton [display visionary] - do you know who he is?

Advanced display talk, display hackers, advanced game programmers, scientists, display researchers, display manufacturers, vision researchers & Advanced Display Articles on Blur Busters. The masters on Blur Busters.
Ahigh

Charles Poynton [display visionary] - do you know who he is?

Post by Ahigh » 31 Dec 2013, 18:13

Over the last 6+ years, I have made a lot of efforts to get the word out about motion artifacts with sample-and-hold and lower framerate display technologies. But I stood on the shoulders on this great man, Charles Poynton, in order to see what it is that I saw and share it through Wikipedia.

http://www.poynton.com

Charles deserves a lot of respect as a visionary for display technology. If you don't already know who he is, be prepared to bow down to one of the gods in the world of HD display technology research. He goes way back. In fact, he is credited with deciding that pixels should be square.

Charles is the guy who published work describing the cause of retinal blurring and is the source of much the research that is continuing to go on now through this website and on the internet to help create more capable displays for fast moving objects, video games, and other research that requires more accurate temporal portrayal of data.

Ahigh

Re: Charles Poynton - do you know who he is?

Post by Ahigh » 31 Dec 2013, 20:34

Here's an excerpt from his second edition of his book where he mentions his work.

Ahigh

Post by Ahigh » 31 Dec 2013, 20:41

And of course the article from Charles:

http://www.poynton.com/PDFs/Motion_portrayal.pdf

Chief Blur Buster
Site Admin

Post by Chief Blur Buster » 31 Dec 2013, 21:20

Ahigh wrote:Charles is the guy who published work describing the cause of retinal blurring and is the source of much the research that is continuing to go on now through this website and on the internet to help create more capable displays for fast moving objects, video games, and other research that requires more accurate temporal portrayal of data.
Yep, I'm familiar with him. He actually lives in Toronto, where I live too.
He's one of the few people who "gets it", in terms of vision behaviors with displays.

One of his older papers from 1996 is listed as a one of the featured Blur Busters Reference at http://www.blurbusters.com/references which is the URL I give to people who says things that are incorrect about vision behavior on displays.

I'll try contacting him, see what he is up to and see what he says.
Head of Blur Busters - BlurBusters.com | TestUFO.com | Follow @BlurBusters on Twitter

Forum Rules wrote:  1. Rule #1: Be Nice. This is published forum rule #1. Even To Newbies & People You Disagree With!
  2. Please report rule violations If you see a post that violates forum rules, then report the post.
  3. ALWAYS respect indie testers here. See how indies are bootstrapping Blur Busters research!

spacediver

Post by spacediver » 31 Dec 2013, 21:23

Love reading him. His book (digital video and HD second edition) just arrived at my door this afternoon :)

I've been in touch with him, and he's still around and active :)

Neo

Re: Charles Poynton [display visionary] - do you know who he

Post by Neo » 08 Jan 2014, 18:14

His website is a treasure trove of freebie tech education. I'm still trudging along digesting his papers on color/gamma science.

Along with Poynton, another person that I appreciate is Alvy Ray Smith. His advocacy for progressive scan was the first to drive home the issues of display speed on picture quality. http://alvyray.com/DigitalTV/default.htm During the 90s it seemed everybody assumed it was too much to ask for anything more than interlaced NTSC. I hope the demand for 120 FPS + displays is a bit more militant (*row**row**fightthepowaa*) this time around with the next-gen UHDTV/computer convergence that is happening.